I'm new to this: need help setting up Edirol PCR-50

Bernie Franks

• Members

So I'm new to this MIDI controller business.

I'm using the PCR-50 with FL Studio 5 and I'm using the USB connection (don't have the AC adapter to be able to use MIDI). So my problem is this: I can only play one note. :o Nothing happens when I press any of the other keys, just the one.

How bad did I screw up here and how can I fix it? :(

• Members

I have pcr-30 myself and I didn't encounter that problem. You can get power from your usb, but still use midi. I think that when you press the V-LINK button it will switch between midi or usb. Try searching the manual or go to edirol website, email them and they should reply within less than 2 days.

http://edirol.com/faqsys/faq_search_fr.html

Does it work with other software or is all you got?

• Members

Originally posted by xman911

I have pcr-30 myself and I didn't encounter that problem. You can get power from your usb, but still use midi. I think that when you press the V-LINK button it will switch between midi or usb. Try searching the manual or go to edirol website, email them and they should reply within less than 2 days.

Does it work with other software or is all you got?

Thanks, I figured I would email them if no one here could figure out what happened.

The only other program I have is SONAR. Would you suggest using something other than FL?

• Members

Originally posted by Bernie Franks

Thanks, I figured I would email them if no one here could figure out what happened.

The only other program I have is SONAR. Would you suggest using something other than FL?

FL is quite good, very nice to make beats. But if you want something more sophisticated and quite easy to use, I'd suggest Reason. You can even download a free version of Rebirth from Proppellerheads site, it's quite big, but it's also pretty good. Don't get me wrong, all I was asking if the keyboard works in Sonar for example, it could be some settings in FL that you might have to adjust. Make sure, you have the latest drivers, too.;)

• Members

I'd say any modern incarnation of FL is in most ways actually quite a bit *more* sophisticated than Reason in terms of capabilities. But Sonar is more sophisticated still, so...

Err...anyway, to answer your original question, my best advice would be to return the PCR-50 if you can. I've got one, and it's a total POS. Some keys don't respond any more, and some that do don't respond to full velocity. Plus, the pitch stick has poor resolution, definitely not up to full MIDI spec. I use a Korg DSS-1 from 1987 that works much better. The only controller I've encountered worse than the PCR-50 is a Radium.

Archived