Herbie H. on Jay Leno tonight

Jeebus

• Members

According to the NBC Tonight Show webpage:

Wednesday, October 19

Music - Herbie Hancock with Christina Aguilera

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/guests/

Given his "Possibilities" album only includes one song with Christina Aguilera, I would assume his Tonight show performance was nearly identical to his peformance on the Ellen show (also with C. Aguilera).

There is a video of the Ellen performance on Herbie's website:

http://www.herbiehancock.com/

Herbie is currently promoting his "Possibilities" album in numerous places ;)

• Members

Herbie sounded great on the grand piano. They did that Leon Russell gospal ballad, "A Song For You", from Herbie's new CD. He played continuos licks behind her vocals and he really showed how to share the spotlight with a singer. It was as if he was soloing the whole time she was carrying on with her gospel style antics.

• Members

hate to play devil's advocate, but I thought he was getting in the way of her vocals, stepping on her all throughout.

kind of like one of those garage band gutarists who doesn't know when to leave space.

no disrespect intended, i just think Herbie has had the spotlight so long that he forgot how to relinquish it ti the singer.

just my opinion based on critical listening during Leno.

• Members

Herbie brilliantly weaved inspired lines and chordal textures around her tedious vocals. Herbie complimented the tune masterfuly, never stealing the spotlight or crashing with the monotonous gospal antics. It would have been another routine R&B pop ballad without Herbie's marvelous musical genius. Less creative keyboardist would have held back timidly in the background. Herbie showed how a jazz master compliments a singer. Herbie is a superb accompanist of the highest order.

• Members

i think i heard herbie on the smooth jazz station tonight.

that's good, because i'm going to totally sell out to the smooth jazz machine here pretty soon. payola, saxophone, bass rolloff ... the whole nine yards.

just watch.

and if my stuff is too acid jazz when it's done, i'm going to take my tabletop Fizmo and just fizz all over the tracks. the fizmo money shot will take ANY acid jazz track over the top into smooth jazz territory, as long as i make sure there's a sax or female vocal (that guy from the doobie bros. works as well) and some bass rolloff.

• Members

Originally posted by rjx

You have the rack version of the fiz?

dude i said TABLETOP. damn how many times do i have to say it?

{censored}. :thu:

i'll post pics when i get it back from the tech. he's putting that voltage regulation {censored} in it so it doesn't flame up in my face when i'm fizzing all over this hot acid jazz.

Archived