FS: Ultra Rare Dr. Z Stingray Amplifier

Brad737

• Members

Hello all,

I've decided to streamline my arsenal of Dr. Z amps. So, here's your chance to pick up a definite Z-Collectible for a great price. I'm offering my black and tan Stingray head for sale. This is number 23 out of the first run of 50 amps. As you may all know, Dr. Z amps had to change the name because Ernie Ball didn't like the amp having the same name as their Stingray bass guitar. There are only 50 of these in the world, and there will never be anymore.

If you're not familiar with the Dr. Z Stingray, this is the exact same amplifier as the currently issued Stang Ray. Here's the description from the Dr. Z website:

Dr. Z's newest creation, the Stang Ray (briefly known as the Stingray and Mantaray), is the result of his second collaboration with superstar country guitarist Brad Paisley. After the success of their first partnership, the Prescription Extra Strength, Dr.Z and Brad Paisley wanted to develop an amplifier that offered an additional pallet of tones to work alongside the Prescription Extra Strength.

Using the classic setup of a quartet of el84's biased close to true Class A at 30 watts, the new Stang Ray tips its hat to classic British tones, but like all Dr.Z amps, has its own unique voice. The preamp uses an EF-86, and it has a 12AX7 phase inverter. Tone shaping is accomplished with Volume, Tone, and Cut controls, giving you the ability to dial up a warm tone, but with sweet 3k range brilliance for beautiful upper treble and nice low-midrange control. The output transformer was designed by Ken Fischer (Trainwreck), who also worked with Dr.Z on the Airbrake.

Here are a couple comments from Dr. Z himself:

For years I have had this tone in my head - that early AC-30 tone. The pre Top-Boost piano-like tone, like the opening cord to " Hard Day's Night "... that big healthy CLANG sound to me is like a Grand Piano.

Well I have captured that tone in the Stang Ray. Its notes are thick but still articulate. Its sound is full and defined, but not thin. It is full of rich resonance with deep sustain. It is brilliant with shimmering top end, but no inner ear pain. Strong mids that don't pinch off, and a rich warm low end that stays defined and blends for a 3 dimensional balance.

What I can tell you is the Dr. Z Stingray has the most lush, warm clean tone I've ever heard. It's a very touch sensitive, dynamic amp. Overdriven, you're in Brian May territory. I just love this amp. But I was lucky enough to buy an ultra-rare Stingray 212 combo loaded with Celestion Alnico Blue speakers, a truly magical combination.

As you can see in the photos, my Stingray is in fantastic condition. There are no scuffs or tears in the Tolex. The only way you could possibly tell the amp is used are some VERY small rubs on the metal corner protectors.

A new Stangray will cost you $1800. In order to make a quick sale, I'm going to blow out Stingray #23 for only $1500, with Paypal and shipping included to the continental US. I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in trades for this very special amplifier. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brad

Stingray.jpg

P1010009.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived