Programming sequences (Depeche Mode)

ExplodingBoy

• Members

OK, so I really want to start learning more about programming synths. Not necessarily the actual sounds or voices, but the sequences.

For example, on Depeche Mode's newest album, there is alot of sequenced arrpegiators going at once. Do most artists use an external sequencer to come up with all of their tracks/patterns etc and then just run that via MIDI through their synth of choice?

How do they keep all of those sounds in sync and on beat like that? Which sequencers are some good ones? Also, nowadays are many people using software sequencers to control hardware synths? I'm sure NIN and Depeche Mode use mostly analog synths, so what do they use to actually program the sequences and control those synths. It seems that very little of what they do is actually played in realtime on the keyboards. Instead, it sounds to me like they use a sequencer to come up with their patterns and then control the synths with the sequencer. Is that a correct assumption?

Any suggestions on a good place for me to start to learn more about all of that technical side of synths? I can play plenty of good stuff in realtime, but I really want the precision and control of sequencing.

Basically, in a nut shell, I just wanted to see if someone could shed some light on how Depeche Mode and other similar artists create their sequences and patterns and how they then get those patterns out of their synth of choice. Everything is soo precise and on time etc. WHat sequencers are they using?

Thanks.

• Members

But am I correct in my assumption that most people use an external sequencer to create their entire song first and then run each pattern through the synth of their choice? In other words, how do they make it so that the drum track or sequence will be run through an ARP 2600, but the bassline will be through a Minimoog.. etc etc? Do most artists do one thing at a time? Lastly, when they go to reproduce all of that live..do we usually just hear a recording of the music or are they actually running the sequencers and synths in realtime right then and there?

• Members

I think it all depends on how you write and your experience with music.

Back in the early eighties the only real choice was step time sequencers and arpeggiators - painstaking and limited but worthwile.

these days you get modern synths with 'arpeggiators' or sequencers for patterns included ( Supernova. Virus, A6 etc etc )

These come with a bunch of ready made patterns so all you have to do is press a key and the notes flow automaticaly - Very Souless but functional for some. - you can get into learning how to make your own patterns so that as you play you can have say a cycle of notes running over the chords you hold down.

As far as using software sequencers A'La Logic, Cubase SOar - they allow you to work in a million other ways as well but some of them don't give you preset rhythms and patterns - you have to do this yourself - But thats SO much better cos then You're the creative one not the machine ! - You also have a universe of more choices to do what you want with the different sections of your song too -

Analogue sequencers are fun as effects but not really what you need to turn to get your song produced and recorded

If I need an arpeggiated run or effect - I play each note in to Logic at half speed then bring it up to tempo after !

Beer

• Members

Originally posted by ExplodingBoy

For example, on Depeche Mode's newest album, there is alot of sequenced arrpegiators going at once. Do most artists use an external sequencer to come up with all of their tracks/patterns etc and then just run that via MIDI through their synth of choice?

Why not?

How do they keep all of those sounds in sync and on beat like that?

ProTools allows you to move the waveforms around if you wish. Pretty much any other audio-based sequencer will do that, too.

Also, nowadays are many people using software sequencers to control hardware synths?

This is a bit of a strange question, since it makes you look like you've never heard of Cubase on the Atari ST 1040 (which might mean that you should polish up on your history). Having one of the first (and a really tight one, too) software sequencers which didn't have to bother with Internet, playing Minesweeper, collecting your e-mail or showing pretty pictures, so it could spend all its time on pumping out MIDI signals in time.

FYI, people have been controlling their hardware synthesizers with software sequencers since the mid 80's or so.

so what do they use to actually program the sequences and control those synths.

If MIDI is not available there's still something called CV/gate. Older modulars used this in their own sequencers, there are several standards that differ in the voltages (per octave/per Hz). You have 2 signals - one for the triggering, one for the pitch.

It seems that very little of what they do is actually played in realtime on the keyboards. Instead, it sounds to me like they use a sequencer to come up with their patterns and then control the synths with the sequencer. Is that a correct assumption?

What, do you want to go back to the time of Mike Oldfield and hire 30 blokes to each play their own instrument?

but I really want the precision and control of sequencing.

If I'm not misinformed your very own EX-7 has a sequencer.

Everything is soo precise and on time etc. WHat sequencers are they using?

ProTools, most definately - but that's more an audio sequencer than anything else, and it helps you to solve the millisecond differences. Maybe hardware like an MPC. It really does not matter that much provided that you have a good interface that sends out all the notes on time and an audio recording solution that allows you to snap the waveforms to a grid.

• Members

I've also taken the liberty to clarify your topic title - it helps a lot in the numbers of replies you are going to get and well, pretty much every thread here is started on the basis of a question anyway. Makes sense to show people what's in there, right now it sounds more like a homework assignment of sorts ;). Never ask to ask, as the IRC channel adage goes.

• Members

It amazes me sometimes that there are keyboard players that don't know how to use a sequencer or what it does. A full featured software sequencer is the most powerful tool in your arsenal by far.

I also think there are many keyboard players that don't realize the extent to which audio can be manipulated these days to do things like keep it in sync.

That's why I think there is a difference between a keyboard player and a synthesist. The skill sets overlap but are really different in a lot of areas.

Does a keyboard player need a sequencer? No.

Does a synthesist need a sequencer? Yes.

• Members

Originally posted by ExplodingBoy

Basically, in a nut shell, I just wanted to see if someone could shed some light on how Depeche Mode and other similar artists create their sequences and patterns and how they then get those patterns out of their synth of choice. Everything is soo precise and on time etc. WHat sequencers are they using?

Thanks.

Depeche Mode uses 3 Arp2600's and TimewARP2600. :eek:

Arp's will make you do stuff like that man. :D

Archived