Swap my Waldorf Pulse for an Evolver?

depulse

• Members

I've been considering gettin the Evolver since it came out, but I'm not too keen on what I've heard of it so far (never played it "live" though, only heard the mp3s posted on the net). It seems perfect on paper though and I always wanted a Prophet VS.

I've got an Studio Electronics ATC-1 with all 4 cartridges and a Waldorf Pulse for RA and a Nord Rack 2 and an Yamaha An1x for VA. (Plus my other synths: Triton Extreme plus MOSS, Roland XV-5050, Yamaha TG-77, Ensoniq ESQ-M, Roland D-550, Korg EX-800, Akai S2800).

I'm thinking about swapping my Pulse for an Evolver (plus a bit of cash in between). But, with the exception for the sequencer, from what I heard of the demos, I could create the same type of sounds by using my ATC-1 plus the Nord Rack or the TG-77 (i.e. Analog plus digital edge).

I'm I totally barking up the wrong tree here?

Can the Evolver do "normal" analog sounds too (think early 80s pop) also or only these distorted beats that the mp3s show? Making heavy electronica could be fun for a change but I'm more into the early/mid 80s sounds, think early Depeche or Yazoo.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

• Members

If you were going to get an Evolver, I wouldn't get it for the analog or "normal" stuff. It sounds quite nice in that department, but I think the Pulse does it that much better. If you were going to get it for the wavetable stuff, I would be much more inclined to point you in the direction of a Microwave I, II, or XT. For me, I'd get an Evolver if I wanted a bit of both in a small affordable package. Cool synth, but there are things that do each portion a bit better. A combination of your Pulse, and a Microwave, would provide you with much more than the Evolver would if you ask me. I'll admit that I am a bit biased toward Waldorf gear, but there is a reason for it.

• Members

Whether or not you get an Evolver, the Pulse and the ATC-1 seem redundant to me. Am I off-base on this?

I agree with everything that's been said here, btw. ;) And FWIW, I'm going to be selling my Evolver, but I'm not interested in the Pulse right now. PM me if you want to talk more.

• Members

That would be somewhat redundant. Each has a couple of things the other doesn't though. The Pulse has one more oscillator if I'm not mistaken. (it has 3, and I think the ATC has 2) The ATC has a more versatility in the filter department. The Pulse has nicer controls (if you're like me and hate membrane buttons) etc. etc. But overall, yes, analog rackmount mono-synths, with several similar features. I'd still go with a wavetable only synth if I was going to supplement one or the other of those though.

• Members

I own all three of these little beasts mentioned: ATCX, PULSE+, and Evolver. I like all 3 for certain tasks. You know about the Pulse and the really deep bass and leads along with a plethora of FX w/ the random button. The Evolver's sequencer gives it a lot of character and can go places no other gear I've heard can. The 'normal' sounds are nice, don't expect them to blow you away, but you can get some pretty unique sounds with all the digital waveforms, you got a lot to play with.

The ATC is great and I'll ditto idiotboy's redundancy of the ATC and Pulse. They are somewhat similar being analog monos with nice filters. The ATC is more funky while the Pulse has more bite. I find that if you don't have much variety in your setup, then it's best to find something different, like and Evolver or Microwave 1. I would go with the MW1 if you want wavetable, its the best of the Microwave's in my opinion (having owned the ver. 2), but that's b/c I love analogs more so than digitals.

Let me ask you, do you find the Pulse too much of a synth bass machine to handle? I like it for it's FX, and the arp's are really nice and suprisingly SPARKLY, while the bass if EQ'd, compressed, whatever'd can be made to fit into your mix fairly decent.

I say if you're feeling a change, just do it and you'll get a hands on approach of how it suits your music.

• Members

Stiky, the Andromeda is a monster that I plan on growing old(er) with. It has it's own distinct, powerful, analog sound. I'm joyfully in way over my head with it.

The MKS70 is so smooth, I like it for pads and string and such. It hasn't received much attention lately because I've been focussed on the SH101 and the ATC-X, but it holds a place of reserve in my studio.

From time to time I've considered swapping it for an MKS80, but only because I haven't used the 80 yet.

Right now I'm deep deep in love with the ATC-X! That thing sounds soooo good!

• Members

Originally posted by depulse

I've got an Studio Electronics ATC-1 with all 4 cartridges and a Waldorf Pulse for RA and a Nord Rack 2 and an Yamaha An1x for VA. (Plus my other synths: Triton Extreme plus MOSS, Roland XV-5050, Yamaha TG-77, Ensoniq ESQ-M, Roland D-550, Korg EX-800, Akai S2800).

We have very similar synth rigs...I also have an NR2, EsqM, ATC-1, and used to have a Pulse, An1x, and Poly800. I much prefer the sound of the ATC over the Pulse, and you've got all the filter carts to boot. To me, the ATC did the stuff I wanted the Pulse to do and sounded better on top of that. Didn't really like the sound of the osc's on the Pulse, despite the great editing panel. I think the Evolver is a good choice that will add something new, plus it has a similar editing matrix to the Pulse.

If you're stone crazy about early DM and Yazoo, though, what you really want is a SCI Pro-1. But hey, Dave Smith is behind both the Pro-1 and Evolver, for what it's worth.

Archived