Wonderful songs of this age

keyman_sam

• Members

Porcupine Tree's new song Arriving Somewhere (but not here)

is one for the ages. Just haunting and powerful.

Never stop the car on a drive in the dark Never look for the truth in your mother's eyes Never trust the sound of rain upon a river rushing through your ears

Arriving somewhere but not here

Did you imagine the final sound as a gun? Or the shattered windows of a car? Did you ever imagine the last thing you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?

All my designs simplified And all of my plans compromised All of my dreams sacrificed

Ever had the feeling you've been here before? Drinking down the poison the way you were taught Every thought from here on in your life begins and all you knew was wrong?

Did you see the red mist block your path? Did the scissors cut a way to your heart? Did you feel the envy for the sons of mothers tearing you apart?

Buy their new album Deadwing and go see them they're touring now.

• Members

Porcupine Tree makes some of the best music I have ever heard. Deadwing is definitely my favorite album from 2005. Every song seems expertly arranged. "Arriving Somewhere (But Not Here)" is an incredible song. I love how it flows from an acoustic/mellow sound to a jazzy sound to a grinding metal sound and back to the acoustic soud. Incredible! In Absentia's pretty good, too. Signify is also incredible. :)

And don't forget about Muse's album "Absolution."

• Members

I think the problem is there is very little great music, as in music that isn't forgotten (by the public in general) two years after it was released. Music has largely been homonginized, proceeduralized, and commercialized. It's essentially become a commodity.

It's not so much art any more as it is a product to sell. Most of the talent is attracted to the money and forced into the current main stream mold instead of being allowed to explore music as an art form vs. a product to sell.

When we can eliminate the middle man and allow artists to sell their music for what they think it's worth instead of forcing them to sell it for $10.99 things will get better. I see no reason why an artist that spends a lot of time and effort to create some great stuff can't sell it for $20 a song if they want or $1 a song.

• Members

I love John Mayer's stuff. So far, i've listened to only a few of his songs, including : Daughters, Your Body is a wonderland, No Such Thing.

I love No such thing the most! :cool:

whats wrong with john mayers? I like his music. :)

Any "excellent" songs that i should listen to (and is available on iTunes currently)? or have i not listened to ANYTHING at all? :(

• Members

Originally posted by mchristi

You may not care for his music, but you can't deny John Mayer's virtuosic playing. He's an amazing guitarist, and the world's best have recognized his ability!

Sorry, the word 'virtuosic' and JM should NOT be in the same sentence. Saw him on TV with Buddy Guy.....not even close!

Archived