FS/FT Minty Engl SE EL34

is350xtrm

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to admit, I tend to be a bit biased towards the Diezel, but my favorite on any given day seems to change. All three of these amps have qualities that hit me different on different days.

Jester, I'm still thinking on it.... I'm trying to figure out if I'm willing to lose a little to make a move and I'm just not sure if I'm at that point. It would be easier if I didn't like the SE so much...

• Members

I'll admit that the Herbert can do some monster tones, and it sounds awesome the way you are using it. However, anytime I've seen one played simultaneously against another high gain amp, it fails to cut through the mix. That's obviously not an issue for you because of the way you use it, but it would really bug me if I had one.

• Members

I end up runnning an eq in the loop of every amp. Seems to help eliminate those sorts of problems while still giving me the sonic signature of the amp. Like you said though, these monsters are sitting in a home office with no one but me ever touching them...

I've got a Voodoo Lab amp selector on its way. Should see it Wed or so. Them I'll be able to A/B/C or any combination. Should be easier to compare then... As long as I still have all of them...

• Members

All custom builds. 13 ply birch cabinet grade ply, finger jointed, hand built. 1 4x12, 2 2x12 and 1 1x12. the 1x12 is using an older Celestion Vintage 30, the 2x12s are using G12T100 and the 4x12 is an x pattern V30, G12K100.

The 4x12 is the exact same size as my old UberKab, the 2x12 are each 1/2 the same internal volume, (stand a little higher though due to being 2-2x12s).

Actually, the cabs I cutom built sound a lot better than either my old UberKab or the Diezel cab, but mine are also designed with removable rear panels (modular) so they can be made sealed back, 1/4 back, 1/2 back or 1/8 back. My 2x12s still need to be finished with some handles and cab corners and grills. They were the last ones I did and I was getting tired of building these by then last spring.

• Members

The funny thing is you are wicked close to where I wanted to be, just not quite there. When I got this, I knew I'd lose a bit of $$$ on the deal, but I'd never even heard an Engl in person and really wanted to. Now that I've been playing it, it has gotten much harder to let it go, let alone at more of a loss than I originally planned for.

Its a lot different when I'm not blown away by an amp, but I really like the SE. I am still considering it though along with one other thing.

Worst part is, if I sell it outright, I don't even have a current line on a VHT UL other than the Bay, which I don't really care for.

• Members

Yeah, I know. I already know I won't like the UL as much. I'm right on the verge of saying screw it and just holding onto all my amps. I've got a voodo amp selector coming on Wed anyway, so that should be interesting.

Wait, you said crazy, but not why.... Asking too much, asking too little, or just shouldn't be getting rid of an SE for an UL?

• Members

Yeah, I know. I already know I won't like the UL as much. I'm right on the verge of saying screw it and just holding onto all my amps. I've got a voodo amp selector coming on Wed anyway, so that should be interesting.

Wait, you said crazy, but not why.... Asking too much, asking too little, or just shouldn't be getting rid of an SE for an UL?

u shouldnt get rid of a amp you know you like for a amp you didnt like in the past, most of the time if i owned it in the past and didnt like it my mind didnt change, except for the herbert.

Archived