How to use guitar pedals on synths

Morandar

• Members

I just bought one of those Behringer pedals (the Vintage Tube Overdrive), and I am wondering about how I could use it with my Ion.

I know for sure many of you use guitar pedals with their synths, so...how? This pedal has only an in and a out, how can I plug both channels in it (avoid losing my panning games)?

Note than my Ion also feeds a Korg Kaoss Pad II (mainly used for reverbdelay and sound twisting).

Thank you!

• Members

So the statement "designed for being used with keyboard" is just a funny joke :D

Ok, I think I'm gonna put the phones out jack in the stomp box, and the stomp out in the mic in of the Kaoss Pad. So I'll be able to switch from pedalon pedal from the kaoss pad with seamlessly. I hope :D

Thank you. Too bad, however.

• Members

No, it's not a joke. Traditionally synths and vintage keyboards were mono. You don't need stereo until you hit the effects, of which they had none. So either run the Ion mono into the pedal out into a panner/delay/whatever, or, if you insist running the panning before the pedal, yeh you need 2 pedals. Or a rack fx unit. There are a few pedals that can handle a stereo input but you can probably count them on one hand.

• Members

And in case you're unaware, most pedals are designed to run with the lower signal input of a guitar. Thus the "designed for being used with keyboard" statement indicating this pedal can handle a hot signal without distorting. Generally try before you buy with pedals for keyboards largely because of this problem. Of course if you buy a Moogerfooger you can assume it'll work just fine with keyboards. There are probably a few others.

• Members

Just as I expected! Thank you, Niacin :D

However, my plan didn't work, so now I run a channel directly into my kaoss pad, and the other one in the pedal and then in the kaoss pad. This seems to work. Maybe I'll still purchase a second pedal (save me from cheap instruments GAS! :D)

Archived