How to Choose Synth/Sampler Workstation?

BigsbySF

• Members

I'm a guitar player, starting a new band with two singers. One of them is going to double on keys, so I need to buy an instrument for him to play.

In addition, we have been building tracks in Reason to compliment some of our songs.

I'd like to get a workstation that would allow us to import our Reason midi tracks into its multitrack sequencer, and also replicate our Reason synth and sampler sounds fairly well, or even improve on them.

In addition, the keyboard should be nicely playable as it'll also be used alot as a live piano. The acoustic and electric pianos should sound good. It should probably have weighted or semi-weighted keys.

I'd like to be able to import my strings sample sets, or the onboard strings should sound really great. I prefer, and usually use small ensemble sounding strings, rather than big orchestra sounding strings.

Is it possible to program tempo shifts into synth workstation midi sequencers?

I'd prefer to buy a used unit, that is repairable if needed, so there should be a service center in Northern California/Bay Area.

I'm a guitar geek, and I'm completely ignorant about synths/keyboards. I've looked for info on the web. There's alot available, but I haven't been able to find a basic guide with all the info I need, and brand/models listed.

Is it possible to find something like this used for less than $1000? Less than $800? Am I completely dreaming? Should I just get a digital piano and an ADAT to run backing tracks?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

• Members

The most popular boards are the Yamaha Motif and Motif ES (the newer one, with more samples) , Korg Triton series and the Roland Fantom S and X. You can now add the Alesis Fusion to the mix.

All of these instruments can sample and have MIDI sequencers. To see what you like the best, just go to a music store and play them. This way you'll see how big the screens are (Motif has good sounds, but a small display) and what kind of control surfaces there are. (By that, I mean sliders, buttons and drum pads - like on the Fantom)

If you are going to be loading a lot of samples, know that the Fusion and Triton Studio have internal harddrives - 40 gig and 20 gig, I believe. With the other boards, you will use Smart Cards or other external media.

I don't know a lot about the Fusion's sequencer, except that it is 32 track (compared to 16 tracks, for everyone else.) The Roland Fantom sequencer is excellent. It might be a little complicated to figure out its RPS (Realtime Play Sequence) feature, but that is the bomb! You can trigger 16 track sequences, from one note. You can assign sequence parts to several notes. Korg's sequencer tauts a RPPS feature, but they can only be one track patterns.

Is it possible to program tempo shifts into synth workstation midi sequencers?

Yes, you can edit your sequences. Go into Event Edit mode for the Master Track and add whatever tempo changes that you want.

Is it possible to find something like this used for less than $1000? Less than $800?

Check places like ebay for prices on used Tritons, Fantoms and Motifs.

the keyboard should be nicely playable as it'll also be used alot as a live piano. The acoustic and electric pianos should sound good. It should probably have weighted or semi-weighted keys.

Uh, now it just became harder to find a cheap keyboard. Most of the products offer 88 weighted key keyboards, but those are the most expensive. I believe that M-Audio makes a $500 weighted key controller, but it doesn't have any of its own sounds.

I'd like to be able to import my strings sample sets, or the onboard strings should sound really great. I prefer, and usually use small ensemble sounding strings,

The Triton Extreme has some of the best small ensemble strings that I have heard.

I'd prefer to buy a used unit, that is repairable if needed, so there should be a service center in Northern California/Bay Area.

You can usually find repair service centers in larger cities. I use a guy, who is certified to repair Korg, Yamaha and Roland gear. Some places might not be as diverse.

I'll leave you with this: You generally get what you pay for. The keyboards that I mentioned, above, are good workhorses.

• Members

http://www.yamahasynth.com/#

click on products, then motif to see its specs.

click on products, then classic corner, then ex5/r to see those.

basically, the motif/ES have WAY more rom and base samples to work with. the AN on the EX is monophonic.

you can get plugin boards which cover AN, FM (not available on the EX), VL, VH, and several other boards for the motif series.

the sampler and sequencer are better on the motifs.

the EX has FDSP which isn't available for the motifs.

quote:

Mike Conway:

'The most popular boards are the Yamaha Motif and Motif ES (the newer one, with more samples) , Korg Triton series and the Roland Fantom S and X. You can now add the Alesis Fusion to the mix.'

don't forget the kurzweils.

Archived