FS: 1976 Marshall JMP Head 50W - Jim Demeter Modded!

rlm297

• Members

Can you describe the two channels? Can it be set for a decent clean tone or is it more like crunch and distorted tones only?

It can be set for clean tones, as well as crunch and distorted tones. So, true cleans can be achieved through this.. and it can be pushed to get a range of mid-overdrive to classic Marshall hard rock distorted tones.

You can set up the first channel for cleans and the second channel for distortion (this is how I used it and used the footswitch to switch between the two.) Or you can set up the first channel with mid-overdrive and the second for a distorted boost.

• Members

Just asking but how can you have 2 channels one a single channel amp?I suspect its a switching circuit that adds a cap/larger value cap to the v1 tube.

This was a single channel amp stock, but after the Demeter mod.. he made it a Master Volume 2 Channel amp which allows the player to switch between channels via your average amp footswitch (this is included.)

Not sure how Jim Demeter did it, but it has two channels.. and each channel can be set up with its own Gain and Master Volume settings, by means of the two Stacked Pot knobs.

The back two pots of the last two stacked knobs control the Gain and Master Volume for Channel 1. And the front two pots of the last two stacked knobs control the Gain and Master Volume for Channel 2.

The amp's guts are shown, so someone with a knowledge of circuits may be able to see how Demeter did this in the 80's. Works and sounds great. It's very practical for work on stage or in the studio.

I hope this helps!

• Members

Wish I could hear it. I trade a Shiva if I knew how the clean sounded. Nice amp though!

I'd be down for a trade for a Shiva.

The cleans sound like the cleans Spacehog used on their album "Resident Alien." They also sound similar to the cleans the Smashing Pumpkins had in their Vieuphoria DVD and Earphoria CD, but mostly the cleans in their SNL performance of their song "Today." That's the best way of describing them.

While the cleans of my Marshall JMP aren't "Fender cleans" per se or icepick "Vox cleans," I'd say they're definitely usable unlike the cleans on most modern heads.

Let me know if you're interested.

Archived