OT: Greatest rock concept album of the 80's?

ExplodingBoy

• Members
Originally posted by myshkin

And that dreadful 80s sound?

:confused:

how dare you:evil:

:)

seriously though- considering the lynn drum and wet digital verbs are a bit dated, I still the find the record to be of timeless quality. it sucks not in any way and boasts my fav. song of the 80's- 'when doves cry'. yum.

• Members

I too am wondering just what can exactly be referred to as a "concept album". I just read the Wiki and the talk section for this article is interesting, as they can't seem to decide themselves.

Here are a few of my favorite 80's concept albums (their conceptual-ness under debate due to their intensely drug-induced lyrical nature):
Legendary Pink Dots- Shadow Weaver
Tear Garden- Tired Eyes Slowly Burning
Sisters of Mercy- Reptile House Ep

And not under debate I believe, would be Laurie Anderson's entire 80's output particularly the Home of the Brave concert film.
Also, while I wouldn't listen to this on any regular basis, you have to admit that the sheer cheeseball spectacle of Chronicle of the Black Sword and the accompanying concert cd and film are... well, quite a spectacle of 80's fantasy nerd zeitgeist.

• Members

I was thinking about that, but I think they have more of a "conceptual framework" overall than specific concept albums. VivisectIV (Sp?) for instance has songs about gas attacks in palestine, animal abuse, etc, but I think Ogre voice and "character" unite the concept of most Skinny Puppy songs under one umbrella as it were. But I'm still really confused as to what a concept album is or is not, particularly when a lot of my favorite artists of the era came up with their lyrics on copious quantities of psychedelics/amphetemines making the meaning of their songs a matter of interpretation and debate.
I mean, almost all of Current 93's songs are a continous narrative describing the approaching armageddon in baffling metaphysical terms obfuscated by obscure references both literary and historical, but does that make them a "concept band"? Every Current 93 and Coil album I can think of has an "overlying theme" which affects the choice of tracks and sound.

• Members

Originally posted by myshkin

You're pushing it orangefunk. I warn you I have a rapier wit.

really.. cool... whats his/her name? I've heard that rapier wits are difficult to breed? No wonder we don't see many around these parts... ahem.. IMHO...

I will "stop this at once" as Stephen Fry might say...

• Members
Originally posted by Sinner6

Skinny Puppy is a concept.

right?

If nothing else Too Dark Park is pretty much a concept album, I think. But that's 1990 and so misses the mark.

I'll forego the obvious choice of the Wall (big PF fan!)...

Since "rock" is seemingly whatever you want it to be, I'll nominate K.S. Audentity :p

DJ
--

• Members

Although my personal eighties (and all time) favourite is David Sylvian's 'Secrets of the Beehive', not a concept album but the sounds, the poetic lyrics and the exceptional music writing including various styles makes it unmatched (IMHO of course ;) )

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

really.. cool... whats his/her name? I've heard that rapier wits are difficult to breed? No wonder we don't see many around these parts... ahem.. IMHO...

I will "stop this at once" as Stephen Fry might say...

Well they have to be kept in water at room temperature for 3 hours of every day. Plus they're notorious bad travellers. Also as you say, difficult to breed.

Archived