Looking for drum machines...

meep

• Members

Any good ones that I can fetch for a resasonable price on eBay? :confused:

If not, any free / cheap software for it? :)

I currently have ReBirth which seems pretty hard to get anything good out of. :(

Thank you. :)

• Members

waldorf attack is teh bizz0mb.. but its not a drum machine. you still need a sequencer.

my advice to meep is to learn how to use a piano roll that is used in most major midi sequencing DAW apps... there are tons and tons of samplers and drum synths that can be triggered from a midi piano roll. not always as instantaneous as an x0x sequencer but a good bit more flexible.

logic, live, cubase, reason, sonar, tracktion, etc.. all have a midi piano roll.

• Members

Agreed on Attack. Very cool software, though I prefer Linplug RM4 this may be down to the way I program, but I was able to get much fuller/bigger drum sounds out of RM4. I currently use a combination of NI Battery 2 (for drum samples) and Drumatic (for synth/TR-X0X drums) That seems to cover everything quite well. Here are a few of the machines/software that stand out in my mind as being quite valuable:

Drum modules:

Kawai XD5 (lots of features, filters, layering, low level synthesis, etc.) You can find these extremely cheap these days ~100

Alesis DM5/D4/DMPro (good modules with trigger inputs. these are easy to program, and quite effective for "standar" acoustic drum sounds. Not the best, but you get a decent amount for the $)

Drum Machines:

Machine Drum (not exactly cost-effective, but for what you get...)

Software:

Waldorf Attack (nice synthesis, can make some very unique sounds.)

Native Instruments Battery (Excellent drum sampler with bit crushers, nice envelopes, compressors, etc. Very easy to use.)

Linplug RM4 is nice. (Very nice synthesis, and loads samples much like Battery.)

Drumatic (This one is free, and is the best TR-X0X emulation that I've heard in software. Since you're not into the sounds from Rebirth though, this one may not interest you. Still worth a look since it's free though.)

• Members

And I second the use of the piano roll editors. I actually compose 90% of my work in the piano roll editor. I play some parts live, but generally anything that I could play poors out of my brain into the piano roll editor more easily. Something about the way my brain works just translates well to grid editors. :) I find this method of editing easier, and more flexible than using a hardware sequencer. (a lot less paging back and forth, etc.) Though I'll admit the Elektron sequencers are a close second for me.

• Members

By piano roll you mean controlling the sequencer using the keys right? :confused:

The software I have is {censored} for that... It is limited to preset orders for where the cymbals / etc. are placed and I am looking for something where I can put the beat I want in a certain turn within a sequence and then play away. :)

I'll try drumatic anyway... I think part of this all may be thaat I'm just a stoopid newb to all this and aren't getting the sounds I want within 10 seconds. :(

I'll keep my eye out for the kawai. :)

Archived