OT: cdnow opinions?

• Members

hey, all. when looking up deep forest music on amazon, i realized there's this thing called cdnow, which i guess has been around for a while, previously independent and currently swallowed by amazon.com.

anyhow, i was hoping i could get some opinions or clearer explanation of what it's all about. the info on amazon was surprisingly disorganized, imho. the impression i get is that there are a number of CDs on amazon that have a special cheaper cdnow price. and if you sign up for cdnow, you can take advantage of the discounts. the downside, i believe, is that you must buy two items through cdnow and you get these weekly emails.

am i missing any catches? how does one go about ordering through cdnow? do they have to do an order seperate from amazon, or is the discount applied automatically to amazon orders? are the CDs still sent from amazon? am i right in that the way you find these discounts is by searching amazon and then seeing the discount mentioned? i'm asking because i went to the cdnow part of amazon and thought i could just search for cdnow discounted cds, but as far as i could tell, not all the cds that came up in the search had discounts.

thanks a bunch!

• Members

Originally posted by LANSTARR

CD Now was an independent online music store that was around before amazon.com, but was bought by them when they got big.

yes. i suspect that CDNow was bought because their website was too easy to use and the artist/production database cross-referencing made it too easy for people to buy alot of albums they wouldn't otherwise know about.

Amazon's site seems to be designed to make it hard for you to do anything except for buy something you're already looking at.

• Members

Originally posted by m15a

so nobody uses this? i guess i'll take that as a negative mark for cdnow . . .

i'm sorry. i guess we didn't explain this well enough.

CDNow is now part of amazon. there is no difference. you might as well ask "hey how do you guys like that Amazon thing? i myself are quite fond of tall muscular women."

CDNow does not actually exist anymore. when it did it was INFINITELY superior to Amazon, but now that those {censored}ers bought it to merely put it out of business it doesn't matter.

i'd quite frankly rather steal music than buy it from Amazon.

• Members

i used cdnow, now that i think back. and i was also upset when amazon took over. which basically meant that cdnow ceased to exist.

what i'm talking about now, i *think*, is how amazon currently utilizes the cdnow name. within "cdnow preferred buyer's club". sorry i didn't make that distinction earlier. (was part of why i was confused.)

MY NEW QUESTION:

so, anyone have experience with cdnow preferred buyer's club?

to see what i'm talking about, search for boheme by deep forest. a few lines down, under the other prices, you'll see a link to "club price", which sells the cd for $9.99 (instead of $14.99). the catch *it seems* is just that you have to agree to receive weekly emails and that you have to buy another cd through them within the year. doesn't seem bad for a $5 discount. although i'm not sure what other issues exist.

Archived