Love my EX7.... I just wish I had the time and motivation to program it!

wheresgrant3

• Members

Arrrgh!!! I've had my EX7 since July and I've probably played it a total of 10-15 hours. It has some amazinging beautiful patches... some great effects... I am just clueless where to start programing this beast. The Tritons seem a bit more intutive, yet I'm still having problems navigating the factory patches on the EX7 without spinning the data wheel.

Just some observations and question on this beast....

#1- I don't care what anyone says about factory patches... the EX7 has some of the best I've ever heard. Dream Grand is probably the best piano pad I've ever heard on a synth, and Analog bros, Dreamer and Stevie's Sync are by far the best leads I've heard. I got some extra milage out of Godin's Suite on the EX5Tech site.... however I'm confused why some patch banks come up as "Silence"

#2 Also confused why I get a message on many Performance patches" DSP Resources full Too Many insuff EF"

Man I need a manual bad!

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

#2 Also confused why I get a message on many Performance patches" DSP Resources full Too Many insuff EF"

Well, probably because the patch takes advantage of the double DSP power of the EX-5 compared to the EX-7. :) IIRC it's like this:

The EX-5 has two blocks of DSP... one for Rev/Cho/Ins and the other one switchable between Ins/Ins/Ins, FDSPx16, AN/AN, AN/FDSPx8, and VL... so, four inserts total if you're using only sample playback, or otherwise one insert with some combination of modeling for the other DSP.

The EX-7 has only one block of DSP, which can switch between Rev/Cho/Ins, Rev/Cho/AN, and Rev/Cho/FDSPx8. So, if a patch uses FDSP or AN and also wants to use an insert effect, you're out of luck on the EX-7. :cool:

Kiru

• Members

Hey Grant,

Despite Kiru's comparison to the EX5, the EX7 is still one killer synth. There some other leads you may want to check out, like Rottersclub and CompuTech. I played a gig last Thursday with former P-Funk member, Andre Foxxe, used PulseBass 1 for the bass lines to "Flashlight" and "One Nation". Using the ribbon controller, I was coming up with synth bass slides with an incredible likeness to Bernie Worrell's.

Archived