Newbie question about piano chords.

Mr. Buzzard

• Members

I am learning to play the piano and I have something that I am not sure about. Lets say I am making a C chords (c, e, g), my book shows two positions for this chord, but I am not sure if those two locations are only the only places to make the C chord or if those 3 notes will make a C chord anywhere up and down the keys?

Anyone following what I am trying to say? :confused::cry:

• Members

Welcome to piano!

Let's see if I'm on the right track. The chord you're talking about ... the C-E-G...or C Major triad (three note chord that contains the first note of the C Major scale, plus the third and fifth notes) can be played anywhere on the keyboard - though if you play a chord too low or twoo high, it won't be pleasant to listen to. But that same chord can be re-arranged... stacked up differently into an "inversion." So, instead of "C" being the lowest note, start with the "E"...then the "G", and move the "C" to the top. This is called the first inversion. And, yep, there's a second inversion... start on the G...then stack the C above that, and put the E on the top. You;ll notice that each chord has a little different quality. If you know your major scales, you can make triads easily by using the 1 - 3 - 5 (first, third and fifth notes of the scale). That might be a good place to start - grab a book that shows the major and minor scales.

Learn them, and start to play with the chords they make. Later on, you'll learn about other notes in those scales...and how to make chords with four or more notes (and other entirely different scales) that can form some more exotic sounding chords. Go luck!

Archived