Tell me about the Kaoss Pad pretty please!

meep

• Members

:)

Is it Kooool with a k and a few extra letters thrown in? :confused:

I like the idea of it as a pre-computer warpifying tool for guitar and synth, the idea of "scratching" samples on it and as a midi controller also.

:confused:

Don't make me wave a big pointy stick at you all because I will do it! :mad:

:)

Thank you,

Lee Flier

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

Do a search. Lots of usefull info...

I am doing that right now! :)

And I have looked up reviews... I always like to ask people their opinions though, no harm in asking right? :)

I'm also putting it in context of a specific use too... Asking if it would be suited to them. :)

• Members

Originally posted by NightChildren

The AV cables are a turn off for me.

Since my preamp for my PC uses RCAs that's no bother for me. :)

The RCA input seems somewhat silly, but then for me I could either use the mic in or just buy the relevant stereo jack => stereo phono adaptor for pretty cheap... :)

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

are the noise issues as bad as I have been feeble-mindedly led to believe?

No, I don't believe they are. If you're gonna go for one of these things, be aware that the KP2 is a much better unit, at least IMO.

I played with the one my friend owns, and I think it's of much better quality than the original.

• Members

I have one (the KP2), and it RULES.

Well, the RCAs and some noises sometimes (the reverb, as already stated, and the distortion - mainly the 08 patch) are bad, but the unit is still truly amazing. Mangling power at the touch of a finger (i sound like a Korg advertising), truly. I use it for some rithms and live simple sampling, but mainly effecting my Alesis Ion. It sounds gread.

A must have for everyone, imho.

• Members

I use the KP2 for echo and verb live. it does rule. it also holds 2 short samples (until you turn off the power) for on the super-fly stuff. it gets hiss when the echos and verb are on. it's not a major issue for live use as long as you manage it a bit---and I wouldn't see it as an issue at all in a controlled recording environment. great box.

• Members

Yes, you can control midi AND send the effect. However, controlling midi via the touch surface would ALSO edit the effect, so it's difficult if you want such a use.

I seem to not be able to send midi clock. This is a shame, for the great tap tempo button and also the automatic tempo recognition. The Kp2 can only receive it, I think.

• Members

I consider the Kaoss Pad 2 the most intuitive and FUN :freak: piece of equipment i have.

If i use it in conjunction with Air FX, Air Synth and adrenalinn 2, you won't see me for days

Hardware nirvana - sample eveything to ableton live then mix and match for ever:p

• Members

Well, keep in mind the 6 seconds max time of sampling.

With this in mind, and assuming you can sample on the fly with perfect timing (which CAN be an issue, I ensure you), you can mangle your samples in almost any way you can think of.

Yes, you can do scratches (but they don't keep running when you do this, like on a real vinyl, so you'll get the scratchy sound but nothing more), you can reverse them, play them faster or slower, set a different point of start or end, and obviously effect them.

Archived