How much time do you spend on your music?

program_insect

• Members

With Real Life breathing down my back, I usually only scrape up a pathetic 10 hours per week or so, which strikes me as not nearly enough...

But this is a seperate question from how much time does your music really require? It's supposed to just flow from the heart, isn't it? Then why do I have all these knobs and buttons and blinky lights? Am I getting caught up in timbrality? And how much time does (should) making music really require?

• Members

Full time job, wife, 2 kids (5 and 2 years old).

Needless to say time spent on music making is insufficient (6-10 hours/week roughly).

Thank god for hardware (switch on - play - sequence / love the Monomachine in this respect, easy to pick up where you were before) and acoustic instruments (sit at piano - start playing - forget work and everything else and focus on music).

Oh yeah, as Kilgoretrout pointed out -> avoiding social life increases your time spent on music, provided not spent on frequenting forums or p-rn) :wave:

• Members

Look, I am approaching 50 this year. I have almost every toy I could want (I want a big modular though). I am not interested in reproducing further.

I find bars boring when I am by myself. If I go listen to live music, I start feeling like I want to play after about an hour (unless it is like Jeff Beck or someone like that). I have rarely met women in bars I am interested in for longer than say a day or so.

I dont mind not having a social life. In fact, I really enjoy it. I just wish I could find a woman who likes music as much as me and we could sit around recording together - naked of course.

• Members

I sit down just to play, twist knobs, design sounds, etc every couple of days. (not nearly enough, but I have quite a bit going on generally) Writing music is another thing entirely.

I don't attempt to write music unless I'm in a specific music-writing mood. I know exactly when this occurs, and that's when I sit down. It's like a sudden burst of inspiration and motivation. When that happens I put everything else that can be put aside aside, and start working. Once some actual work has begun, it usually takes me around two to six hours to complete a given tune. It has to be this way, because I won't work on it again in any serious way. I've refined my processes to the point where I can get it all done in as long as I feel I can sit. I may revisit it later for some EQing, some additional mastering, tweaking, rearranging, but I will never put more than an additional hour or two into something I already considered done. At this point I listen to it for a couple of days, and move on. The next time I'm hit with the musical mood, I try and refine the work that I did the time before in a completely new tune/idea. I'm up to around 250 tracks since 1999 (or so, (when I actually started keeping what I worked on, (I've been writing semi-seriously since the early 90s.))) and if you listen to them in sequence, you can hear each increment in the refining process.

I might spend 6+ hours on something that I find to be an interesting concept, (usually something that I haven't tried before, (something jazzy or classical usually)) or if I feel like making/hearing a simple "electronica" track (acid, techno, break, house(ish)) sort of thing, I might be done in an hour or two. I have a very basic template that I use. It consists of a few tracks with four measure looped parts. (no instruments pre assigned) I'll load a VST, and use these parts as sketch pads until I get a basic idea rolling. I add instruments, and build up these four measures until I've got what I consider the busiest part of the tune. Then I do a lot of cut and paste, subtractive editing until I have a simple tune of the length I want. Then I add fills, rolls, breaks, and other changes. Add FX, EQ, any last minute ideas, and then mix it down. I find working this way is extremely efficient. It allows me to get what I want done in the little time I have, or am willing to work.

• Members

Originally posted by kilgoretrout56

Look, I am approaching 50 this year. I have almost every toy I could want (I want a big modular though). I am not interested in reproducing further.

I find bars boring when I am by myself. If I go listen to live music, I start feeling like I want to play after about an hour (unless it is like Jeff Beck or someone like that). I have rarely met women in bars I am interested in for longer than say a day or so.

I dont mind not having a social life. In fact, I really enjoy it. I just wish I could find a woman who likes music as much as me and we could sit around recording together - naked of course.

Was not blaming you sir, in fact I feel more like you, I'm only 37 but with my current life experience my most happy feeling is at home, surrounded by my family members and music(al instruments). Just like you I quit going to concerts and prefer concentrating on my own skills. As John Miles pointed out 'Music was my first love, and it will be my last'. Couldn't have said it better.

• Members

It wasn't taken as a criticism from you. Someone else who has the fever would understand.

My non-music-nerd friends do not see it that way. They have decided that I have become anti-social and reclusive. OK. I have. But it is not like I am a socio path.

Sorry if it sounded like I was being defensive.

By the way, I still want a female companion to do the music thing with (naked of course). Prefer under 35. Rich would be nice too.

• Members

You could allways try posting singles adds in music forums :)

They seem to be quite rare - I got lucky I guess :D

Oh, the topic... erm I guess about 10-30+ hours a week depend how much Im home.

If Im home, then other than living essentials, Im messing with my synths, or at least listening to music...

Probably only productive for about 4-8 hours a week though.

• Members

I have a day job, family responsibilities AND play an average of 2 gigs a week on bass (used to be more like 4 a week but things have been slow). So time spent with my MIDI gear at home is small...maybe 6-8 hours one week and none the next?

Got a song buzzing through my head right now but will have no time to fire up my rig until Saturday morning :cry:

• Members

Ok, I will be the first to admit that on the "average" day I don't even turn my synths on. I sometimes go weeks without even messing with em.

BUT...

When I do turn them on, I may go 36-48 hours in a single stretch....I'll call in sick from work or go in to fullblown hermit mode and nobody sees me for several days.

So...

I tend to avoid my synths until I know I have a good amount of free time and the mood strikes. I dunno, it takes me a LONG time to do anything on my synths and samplers because I stubbornly have to create all new patches from the ground up for each project I work on, so everything has it's own charachter, but DAMN...sound design alone can suck up a whole lot of time.

Anyway, when I need a "quick fix" I have a Les Paul and tube amp, fun and immediate.

None of this feels as "off kilter" as it may appear in writing. I just need a full time laboratory to play synths in where I am fed and watered and I can bug out for long periods of time.

You guys are all invited, of course.

• Members

The singles ad thing is out. I have met a few people from that and I like being lonely better.

I have found that my girlfriends (exes now) got jealous of all the attention the knobs got.

Soz - I didnt mean do the singles thing for any old squeeze - I meant specifically for those interested in music production as well - shared interests and all that.

• Members

fortunately, a lot (I also need it ... )

but not right now (meaning at this very moment) I'm procrastinating in regards to my "job" ... fortunately, it's a fairly convnient and flexible job(s) ...

I work from my home mostly, and I sit across from my keyboard rig; so it's always there to just pop on over and bang out something ...

just finished a marathon practice session for a new electric piano piece I'm working on (ode to poker god Greg Raymer; yes, it's supposed to be absurd but beautiful) ... using a Fantom X patch Mk2 Stage Phaser ... very expressive, esp. after tweaking ...

ok ... WORK

• Members

HaHaAhaHAhaAHha! Time. There is never enough of it when you are doing what you love. I use to play a minimum of 8 hours a day. At one point, I quit my job and spent four months writing and recording an album ( minimum 20 hours a day ).

Note to the one who started this post: I ve asked myself the same question about all the knobs and sh$t, but then I listen to the copositions I ve made, that make me think the heavens opened up wide to hear a choir of angels singing on huge, white, fluffy clouds. The answer becomes very simple and clear.

Now, however, I am newly married, and the owner of a brand new company (Whooopy! Sarcasm.). I miss having no life. Between the wife bitching about the 20 hour strecht I do on saturdays, and the company sucking up every other second that is left, I say * If you got time to kill playing, do it, cause you may not always have it!:freak::thu:

Archived