If the Ion is so awesome...

dabowsa

• Members

...then why does it seem like everyone plays a NL{2,2X,3}?

I've spent the last view days reading old Ion vs. Lead threads. It seems the general consensus of this forum is "Go with the Ion."

The Ion is more flexible and can do more, including approximating classic analog synths. The Lead has a potentially cool pitch stick, an intuitive layout, cuts through a mix, and has a more distinct personality.

However, I've only come across a few Ion owners on the internet and its non-existant on the live circuit and you never see anyone playing one on TV.

The Nord shows up in all kinds of people's sig lines, at a bunch of shows I've been to, on Leno, Letterman, Conan, Austin City Limits..etc.

Is the Ion a "looks good on paper" synth that doesn't inspire? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these bad boys, so I guess I'm just wondering why I do see more of them "around."

:cool::thu: -Ben.

• Members

Hey Ben,

I think we're long lost brothers. I've been having a bit of GAS and since my birthday is coming up in a few weeks, a new and inexpensive VA is what I've been considering. This would be the dangerous 3rd keyboard in my rig that I can never seem to keep for more than a few months for various reasons, but that's another topic altogether!:D

I have owned the Nord Lead and Nord Lead 2x and love them. Great interface - especially all the knobs ganged up over on the left side. Great sounds - especially the ability to stack up 4 sounds at one time pretty easily. It does the Prophet 5 sound in spades. I have also owned a Micron and played the Ion several times. So I am also torn between NL2/2x vs. Ion if I was getting one now. The Ion has some nice bonuses that are missing on the NL - LCD display for patch naming, built in effects, more filter choices. The polyphony is not as good as the NL, but it seems to have more sonic versatility. And the price is cheaper. I've seen the Ion going for $599 with a case (new) and you'd be lucky to find a NL2 used for that price. A new NL2x is in the $800 range.

So the Ion is great bang for the buck - they got kind of a bad rap at first, due to some software glitches, but I think those have been fixed. Nord has developed more of a rep for being a standard Go-To VA synth. It is a compelling sound in a cool package, but I think you could be just as happy with an Ion.

If there's any way to get them side-by-side and play them, that would be your best bet to make the decision. One thing I can't remember is how the Ion's keyboard feels or if it has aftertouch?

Regards,

Eric

• Members

If we're long lost brothers, you got the cool family that bought you synths for garage bands while I was stuck wearing a uniform in marching band.

I believe the only one that has after touch is the NL3, but that's just from reading posts, not actually checking specs.

Along with the Ion's LCD for patch naming, it also displays a graphical representation of the sounds you're modifying in real time. This is pretty appealing to a va-noob, such as myself.

Also, the interface is much like the Electro's draw-buttons - no jumps or suprises when you tweak a knob.

NovaMusik.com has Ion w/ gig bag for $569. Analogue Heaven has a used NL2X for $699.

• Members

Originally posted by eric

.........It does the Prophet 5 sound in spades.

+1

I've played an Ion and a NL2X, but never in an A/B situation. I went with a NL2X-R, but I should let you know that I cut my teeth in synthesis with a Prophet 5, which I love. So I had the whole emotional connection/respondent conditioning thing going on......While I generally dig the sound of the Ion, it didn't help that the unit I demoed wasn't working properly, which instilled an element of doubt in the back of my mind regarding reliability issues .........Also, I wasn't too crazy about the action, but I certainly could have lived with it. Finally, I'm a freak about rack-mount modules, and the Ion doesn't come in a rack. I tend to agree with brother Eric.....assuming the price differential is not an issue......put 'em side by side and go with the one that puts the biggest analog smile on your face!

• Members

NordLead has been around since 1996. It was the first major seller of the VA genre. Many of the players you see playing a NL2x or NL3 had an original - they are using something with which they are innately familiar.

Ion has been around just a couple years, and had a less-than-smooth introduction. I have a feeling you'll see more of them on the scene as time goes on.

Oh - remember also that the red synth you see on TV might not always be a NL. It could be an Electro.

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

Oh - remember also that the red synth you see on TV might not always be a NL. It could be an Electro.

Gear spotting is a major hobby of mine. I can easily tell the difference, especially since I own an Electro. :D

I hear what you're saying about the NL>2's being "grandfathered" in though. Good point.

• Members

Nords look cooler on the telly, which would actually come into it for a lot of bands.

I think it's also that the two synths have quite different sounds, and the in-your-face digital VA sound of the Nord is more popular at the moment.

I also think it might have a bit to do with the fact the Nord's more expensive, and a band who might have started off on an Ion or MS2000 might 'upgrade' to a Nord when they get a record company advance.

Just a couple of ideas.

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

I'm sorry, but what the hell kind of statement is this?????
:confused:

Did you read the next sentance?

Originally posted by dabowsa

The Nord shows up in all kinds of people's sig lines, at a bunch of shows I've been to, on Leno, Letterman, Conan, Austin City Limits..etc.

I think the keyboard players that show up on these television programs have their choice at any VA that money could buy. I was just wondering why I've never once seen an Ion.

• Members

Personally, I think it's the interface. One knob per function. And those great visual cues on the NL3.

Can't imagine it's the sound, since the Ion has so much tonal range. BTW does the Ion have morphs?

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by Tusks

Personally, I think it's the interface. One knob per function. And those great visual cues on the NL3.

Can't imagine it's the sound, since the Ion has so much tonal range. BTW does the Ion have morphs?

Jerry

The Ion's oscillators have continuously variable waveshape if that's what you mean.

• Members

I think the keyboard players that show up on these television programs have their choice at any VA that money could buy. I was just wondering why I've never once seen an Ion.

Because it's a great sounding synth housed in a POS package! :mad:

Maybe they need to analyze the Roland SH-201 to learn how to wrap the electronics of a synth.

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

Because it's a great sounding synth housed in a POS package!
:mad:

Maybe they need to analyze the Roland SH-201 to learn how to wrap the electronics of a synth.

:D I thought the 201 was ugly. I'd look more toward the Q, the Virus, the Nords for a nice VA wrapper. (I'm also one of the few who likes the look of the nonexistent VA-1 though :D )

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

Because it's a great sounding synth housed in a POS package!
:mad:

Wow - first I've heard of it! Could you elaborate? Or if you've already stated your opinion in a past thread, give me a hint as to where I could find it?

• Members

Quite a few people don't like the way the ION looks, and don't like the way the screen is flat on the top. (not angle toward the user) I never found this to be a problem when I had it, and actually liked the way it looked overall. It may have looked a little better angled down toward the front like most other boards, but I liked the thick metal construction, the rubbery knobs, lit mod-wheels, etc. I'm also very tall, so the top facing screen didn't bother me either. There are much better looking boards, but I didn't think the ION housing was terrible. Anyway, it's a nice board, and you shouldn't hesitate to pick it up if you like the way it sounds. I sold mine during my second all-software-phase. For some reason I was never able to have a decent mix of software and hardware before, it had to be one or the other for me to get into the work-flow. Now I seem to have found the right balance.

• Members

Originally posted by J3RK

:D
I thought the 201 was ugly. I'd look more toward the Q, the Virus, the Nords for a nice VA wrapper. (I'm also one of the few who likes the look of the nonexistent VA-1 though
)

but those other shells aren't "budget."

Hell, a setup like the MS2000 would have been better.

• Members

Originally posted by J3RK

The Ion's oscillators have continuously variable waveshape if that's what you mean.

No, although that's a nice feature. I especially enjoy oscillator sync on mellow waves.

In Nordspeak it's the ability to change several parameters with one. You can take several parameters, set a range for them, then morph through that range using a midi controller (modulation, after touch, etc.). In my Yamaha An1X, it's the ability to set up two different timbres and morph (not crossfade) between them.

Jerry

• Members

Wow - first I've heard of it! Could you elaborate? Or if you've already stated your opinion in a past thread, give me a hint as to where I could find it?

The totally flat surface doesn't work well with a keyboard standing or sitting position. Even with the Ion on a tilted second or third tier, the display is not comfortable to view. They could have at least angled that. The very lacluster keys are the icing on the POS package.

I'm hoping for a rack version. All I want is the Oberheim and Jupiter within it. :thu:

• Members

Nord has been a big competitor with the Ion.

After the new year I purchased a used Ion after trying out the Nord Lead 3.

I found the sounds from the Ion more versatile and bought it because it emulates Moog and Oberheim.

It's up to you what you want to buy. I try out synths prior to buying, not because I see them on TV.

• Members

Originally posted by ahfinn

I've seen a picture of Klaus Schulze recently playing an Ion. His set up seemed to be an Andromeda, Ion and a minimoog. I bet there was more there but those were the ones visable.

he signed a huge endorsement deal with Alesis. they gave him two of everything in their line, and he did some demos for them. or something.

but i'll bet you he digs the {censored} out of the A6 and the Ion.

• Members

Originally posted by rockfan

I try out synths prior to buying, not because I see them on TV.

:p

My question was a simple one, "Why don't I see more 'pros' playing the Ion?"

I sometimes see 'pros' at a live show, sometimes I see 'em on TV.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Tusks

No, although that's a nice feature. I especially enjoy oscillator sync on mellow waves.

In Nordspeak it's the ability to change several parameters with one. You can take several parameters, set a range for them, then morph through that range using a midi controller (modulation, after touch, etc.). In my Yamaha An1X, it's the ability to set up two different timbres and morph (not crossfade) between them.

Jerry

with the ion, you set this up in the mod matrix.

just assign your modulator to multiple destinations

• Members

The Ion can change multiple paramaters at once, but it does not "morph" between patches/timbres like the AN1x or the Nord, which is a shame because that is a very nice feature if you like to flow from one song into the next when playing live.

I would get around that by having two Ions :) Like Klaus.

n8

• Members

Originally posted by natrixgli

The Ion can change multiple paramaters at once, but it does not "morph" between patches/timbres like the AN1x or the Nord, which is a shame because that is a very nice feature if you like to flow from one song into the next when playing live.

I would get around that by having two Ions
:)
Like Klaus.

n8

so if im understanding this right, for example:

you could set

*patch1*

var1 = 7

var2 = 9

var3 = 3

*patch2*

var1 = 1

var2 = 8

var3 = 6

when you move the controller, all the variables will be moving at different rates, though all arriving at thier destination at the same time. like, var1 would feel sensitive, while var2 would be hardly noticable.

am i correct?

Archived