Hello.... I was hoping some of you could lend some purchasing advice.

Jimbroni

• Members

I play bass and dabble on keys.

I have a fender rhodes, a radium 64 with a EMU vintage pro module, and a broken yahama S03.

I recently decided to tear up the rhodes and replace the dampers and hammers. Ran into a unforseen snag, nothing unfixable but just more timely. So thats down.

My radium just decide to stop turning on, I'm about to check the usb power, to eliminate the power supply variable.

The yahama has sounds but is missing a couple of notes. A couple of keys got wet.

A friend had loned me a Roland JX-3P for the longest time, and out of the blue decide he was going to sell it. So now thats gone too.

Sorry for the long tale, but I just wanted to express the fact that I just went from four keyboards to zero in 2 weeks.

:o

So I'm in the market for a new ride. I was using the sequencer on the JX-3P alot in our gigs, because being the bass player, it would allow me to record drones, and simple 8 beats quickly on the fly, without taking away from the bass. So that is a feature I need. The ability to quickly record on the fly, I would like to upgrade to something that could record phrases and more complex loops, but without sacrificing ease of use. The next feature I'm looking for would be nice onboard synth leads. And as big bonus the ability for real time resonance and filter cutoffs. That said, I send to the vintage pro and get synth sounds and filter resonance controls. So this isn't the most important part, the most important is the ability to make grooves on the fly.

I'm clueless about keyboards and all the models are just overwhelming to me, so I don't know whats out there.

So please help. BTW, I read thru the garage sale abit, but I just don't know what models are what.

I'm looking for something used round $600 or hopefully less.

• Members

In other words.........

Maybe some experimentation with a variety of software right now would give you

-- an education

-- some ideas for shaking up your live show

-- a way to combine the ideas you mentioned into one process

..........and cheaply, too -- if you already have a fairly decent computer

• Members

Originally posted by asynchro_nous

In other words.........

Maybe some experimentation with a variety of software right now would give you

-- an education

-- some ideas for shaking up your live show

-- a way to combine the ideas you mentioned into one process

..........and cheaply, too -- if you already have a fairly decent computer

I do use soft synths, which is why I have the radium. That's not a very portable or durable solution, and buy a laptop isn't in the budget. They generally don't sound as good live either. That said I would love to have laptop and do Reason stuff live(Reason is the cats asss), though that doesn't fit my fusion band very well. I could put together a DrumnBass show, but thats another story.. Actually the point is thats where I'm coming from. Been there done that, I have a good idea of what I want to do with the keys, as I described above. Where I am clueless is in all of the models Roland, Korg, yahama, and other. I was hoping someone could point to a couple of model names and numbers that would fit the description I put together here. Just so I have a basis in my search. And I'm already gettin a little of that simply by searching Ebay, but its tedious. That and I was wondering if anybody here had anything for sale.

• Members

Hmmm, I'm not too sure what "fusion" is (jazz-rock-funk?) Anyway here are some suggestion off the top of my head. I look for gear literally everyday. These are second hand prices I have found more than once.

Yamaha Motif Rack-$500-$600

A good bit of a variety of sounds, and has a sampler with a cool chop function. Probably your best buy in your price range.

Or you could buy a couple EMU modules, the XL-1, Audity 2000, 9090, Mo Phatt come to mind. Again I'm not 100% on what type of sounds your after, but you should be able to get at least two of the EMU modules, or a module and a new midi controller.

Access Virus A-$400-$500

Acess Virus B-$500-$600

You probably know or have heard about these. Mainly electro,trance,DnB, etc. type sounds. I have a Virus C and love it.

Clavia Nord lead 1 Rack-$300-$400

Nord lead 2 Rack-$400-$500

Comparable to the virus' but with different character.

Quasimidi 309-$300-$400

Electro 303/909 VA step sequencer synth...

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head

Oh yea, Novation K station, Nova, both of these are in the $300-$400 range. The nova seems to be "deeper" though.

• Members

JIm- I have the Radium 49 if you are interested

I bought it a year ago since it fits well in overhead luggage space on airplanes. Turns out my business trips are infrequent so the Radium sits around unused

I play keys ( have a Triton 61, Extreme 76, Rd700sx, Fantom XR)

Looking at your recording and loop and synth requirements, I am not sure $600 is enough for a solution. I think you might be happy with a good used Triton Classic 61 but I think you would need $800/$850 if you check closed auctions on ebay. Getting one in excellent condition is the key.

A cheaper and maybe easier fix would be a Jv1010 rack module plus a radium.

final thought is the Korg Karma 61. Folks are giving them up for $600 on ebay. That is a bargain and might be a good fit for your requirements

• Members

Thanks for the replies. Greg I just got my radium to work via USB, so I'm think the poweradapter is bad, so I'll replace that.

I've looked the JV1010 in the past, but I'm really in need of a rapid sequencing feature, and will sacrifice the other features for that. I didn't really see a way to record and playback with the JV1010. Yeah, the Tritons seem ideal. I've looked at those Karma's though I haven't seen one go for the right price just yet. That is basically what I'm looking for. It seems the Karma has a bad rep for reason, is it the playability or sound?

• Members

Hey Jim, the Karma has the Triton rom and most of the effects. Plus you can add different personalities like the MOSS and 1 EXB when you are ready.

About all I can think of is that fickle synth players might say the sounds are out of date, not VA, or the arpeggiated GE step sequencer doesn't appeal to them

Good luck on your search

• Members

Thanks asynchronous. I'll check it out.

Oh I went to GC yesterday, and played a fantom Xa and a motif. Oh out my league $$ wise, but the motif was really intuitive. The XA seemed a little tricky to change the pattern length but I imagine that I was just missing somthing. Nontheless, very nice. I love the filter and res controls, with the drum pad. Thats sweet. The tritons I found to be difficult to work with on the fly, unituitive.

Archived