The Instructional Thread for Shred!

• Members

here's a tab for the front part of DT's Overture 1928. You'll have to play 6 notes in every beat, which is shown as a *. if you have the mp3 of the song and you happen to have winamp, you can download a DSP plugin to allow you to make the song play slower. you can download the plugin from here http://jobsearch.chez.tiscali.fr/chronotron.htm

and of course, a metronome can help you a lot. you can download the metronome program from www.gajits.com.

here's the tab: (sextuplets)
--*-----------*-----------*-----------*-----------*-----
e ------------------------------------------------------
b 9-10-9-7----------------------------------------------
g --------9-7-6-9-7-6-----------------------------------
d --------------------9-7-6-9-7-6-----------------------
a --------------------------------9-7-5-9-7-5-----------
e --------------------------------------------9-7-5-9-7-

• Members

not that many people interested in teaching newbies shred eh?

Anyone know of some easy song to learn other than overture which was suggested before, its a good song, but those sextuplets are a little fast for "beginners" I think.... I tried it and I cant do it yet, thats for sure.

• Members

Originally posted by djmojo

Anyone know of some easy song to learn other than overture which was suggested before, its a good song, but those sextuplets are a little fast for "beginners" I think.... I tried it and I cant do it yet, thats for sure.

Erotomania of DT is a good song

• Members

Originally posted by djmojo

i can't execute that run perfectly too...but i'm practicing that part of the song with the winamp plugin by slowing the song to half of the speed and gradually play it until i can play it in the actual speed. so far i can play it at it's original speed by repeating it from slower speed but i can't just play it smoothly without finger warm ups. it takes my 2 weeks to do this and i'm planning to learn to play this whole song.

the beginning part of Satriani's Summer Song is nice too. But the hard part with the fast tappings and wierd sound are too much for me.

• Members
Originally posted by da_witch

BUMP!!!

Come on....

Wendy

I will post a hot pic of a female for every usefull shred tip...
;)

Principles of working on shred:

1. Only learn short sections at a time, to isolate the difficult part.

2. Practice quite slowly.

3. Isolate the difficulty by practicing each hand separately.

4. Create variations on the passage to work on similar techniques.

5. Work on the transition time between notes when playing slowly by making short and sharp movements.

6. Introduce dynamics to help you judge your tone much more clearly.

So do I get a pic? Pwwweeeese!! :D

• Members
Originally posted by Anomandaris

Principles of working on shred:

1. Only learn short sections at a time, to isolate the difficult part.

2. Practice quite slowly.

3. Isolate the difficulty by practicing each hand separately.

4. Create variations on the passage to work on similar techniques.

5. Work on the transition time between notes when playing slowly by making short and sharp movements.

6. Introduce dynamics to help you judge your tone much more clearly.

So do I get a pic? Pwwweeeese!!
:D

Well, since I have promised a hot pic I won't post one of myself...:D...What about this?
talena3.jpg

But next time I want a more specific post....
:p

• Members

I know someone who knows the whole band ;)

but anyways, they kinda suck, I saw them twice (not by choice, it was just they were openning for some other band I was watching).

Some of the songs had potential but I feel morgan isnt a great singer... sorry for all the fans

I would post a really good shred tip but since I dont have any, I would be just making stuff up... and that wouldnt actually help people... uh practice??

• Members

I'll add that and important component of shred is the guitar's tone. As we all know it's important to develop a "light" touch when shredding, don't tense up. I find that setting up tone, trying to get an articulate high gain sound allows me to pick fast but not have to strike the stings to hard to drive the pickups output. I get a smooth, even, sustain and work at making each note ring even. Remember, when your shredding in a band situation you will most likely be using a tone like this and you have to develop a touch to harness it. Of course, practice w/clean tone also. The distortion will cover mistakes.
Does this count as a tip. Can We get another hot shredder pic??

• Members
Originally posted by GTM

I'll add that and important component of shred is the guitar's tone. As we all know it's important to develop a "light" touch when shredding, don't tense up. I find that setting up tone, trying to get an articulate high gain sound allows me to pick fast but not have to strike the stings to hard to drive the pickups output. I get a smooth, even, sustain and work at making each note ring even. Remember, when your shredding in a band situation you will most likely be using a tone like this and you have to develop a touch to harness it. Of course, practice w/clean tone also. The distortion will cover mistakes.

Does this count as a tip. Can We get another hot shredder pic??

Well, okay...here are some links to my "Hottie bassplayer" thread...there are some cuties in there...but since I am a girl there are also a lot of male players in there..;) And a pic of me somewhere, wich shouldn't be in that thread..:D
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168309&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

• Members

The secret to speed is "knowing where your going".
High speed playing will consume notes fast. So there is a lot of academics involved here. What worked for me was firstly, finding a guitarist whose style really inspired me. In my case initially it was Yngwie. Then I studied his technique. By this I mean how he created his licks. Then I created my own long form harmonic and melodic minor scales, ones that felt natural for me. I practiced them up and down as well as across the neck. You need to practice the hell out of these scales untill you find ways to naturally conect them. The trick is to get melodic as opposed to just sounding like your playing scales. The lesson here is "it's not what you know, it's what you show". It doesn't matter how many scales you've memorized, if you don't know how to apply them and make them sound melodic your not going to impress anyone. The last lesson is "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it". You have to have the will, the resources, and the patience. Practice, practice, and practice more. There are no short cuts!

• Members

Another tip. You need to practice shredding over chords. It will get you there some much faster than just practicing scales with a metronome. I use a drum machine and a gadgit called the Chopshop by C-Tech. It's just a digital looper. I'll record a chord progression, establish a tempo with the drum machine, something nice with a double bass, and then I'll go at it for as long as it takes. That's the beauty of these digital loopers. I can also slow it down a little and practice at 1/2 or 1/3 speed. Another advantage of practicing this way is that it forces me to think up chord progressions to play against scales. As a result I'm being creative and learning the relation between the scales and chords I play.

• Members

hmmm digital looper... just get winamp and a recording amp... like v-amp or something, 130$ US and you can record stuff too :) and sounds good, practice at night... its all good... then just use winamp as a looper, its free and there are great plugins that help you slow it down or play parts repeatedly.

Also I found that since I have started learning these arpeggios its helped my picking technique (much smoother stroke, less movements, more controlled and fluid) aswell as helping my knowledge of the fret board... now I know where to easily find the 3, 5, 7 of scales anywhere based on chord patterns :) wee!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Simply play this excerpt from Vai's "Crossroads" solo over and over again until your nose bleeds. No cheating by taking a break for food or water.

-----------------------------------17-15-13--------------

---13-17-15----15-17-15-13-------------17-15-13--

14------------16-------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

You won't be a better guitarist, but after awhile you'll be able to play this one lick very well and impress your buds at Guitar Center.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Someone recommended Stetinas "Speed Mechanics" book a couple of weeks ago.

I ordered a copy at amazon, and I received it two days ago (after waiting over two weeks for it).

I'm blown away! I haven't had the time to really start working, but his practicing guidelines are superb, and it makes a really good impression to me. The best book about practicing I've ever seen.

Thanks a lot for this recommendation.

Nils

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Jimmy James

Simply play this excerpt from Vai's "Crossroads" solo over and over again until your nose bleeds. No cheating by taking a break for food or water.

-----------------------------------17-15-13--------------

---13-17-15----15-17-15-13-------------17-15-13--

14------------16-------------------------------------------

You won't be a better guitarist, but after awhile you'll be able to play this one lick very well and impress your buds at Guitar Center.

whats the timing of this riff?

Archived