Help!!!!

• Members

okay, that scales/modes thread confused the hell out of me...so, is there a site that just says what notes go in the key that I'm in, like say, I'm in C#, what notes are in the C# scale?...are there any sites like that? if so please post them... and, I can read music, but I don't understand the key sig.'s so please post a site that has them in tab...thanx...

• Members

Buy Dave Celentaro's Monster scales and modes. It will probably help.

Learn and understand basic theory of major and minor scales and how they relate. That helped fill int he puzzle to me.

ITs very simple, and it just seems hard because people are picking out minor details.

Here is a simplied version of modes.

Modes are not scales.

the 7 modes contain the same intervals as the major scale, but start in a different "spot" kinda. like...

major[ionic] is WWHWWWH
dorian is WHWWWHW
etc.etc.

As you see its shifted "left" kinda. Its the same set of intervals, but starting on a different interval. Thats why the 2nd fingering ont he major scale is the 1st fingering on the Dorian mode. [however it will be played in a different spot ont he nect because your root note has to be C#...but the PATTERN SHAPES [or intervals] are the same.]

so in C# major [ionic] it is
C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

C# Dorian is
C# D# E F# G# A# B C#

In both these examples, its in C# and you should be resolving and bulding tension to and from C# [your root note]

• Members

Try looking in my free lessons for where i talk in the beginning about SCALE RULES!

A scale rule is a KEY that will tell you what notes are in whatever scale you want to play. Its a formula thats simple to learn and applies to any scale or key signature.

Basically, it works like this.

The Major scale of C -

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

consists of the following rule.

Whole step (or two frets) = W
Half step (or one fret)= H

W-W-H-W-W-W-H

This means you start on the C note and move up two frets for the second note in the scale. Then you move up two more frets for the next note. Then 1 fret for the next note and so on....

Each type of scale like a minor or major has a rule ti identify HOW you find the next note in it. If you took the above rule for a Major scale and started on the G note it would give you?

G - A - B - C - D - E - F#- G

...ummmm thats too easy. You pick out the next starting note and figure it out and learn for yourself!! :)

Archived