blues solos over chord changes?

• Members

Originally posted by Jimmy James

"Footprints" and "Song for my Father" are some other good ones for exploring the inner workings of the Blues/Jazz matrix.

Anybody mess around with Jaco's "The Chicken?"

Two more songs on my play-a-long :)

That one will keep me busy for months.

• Members

Originally posted by stratboy151

oscar... i was just curious as to what u do for a living , i personally am a music teacher and will be getting some more income thru a wedding band , im looking to obviously do more with music tho than my current state.

I'm a professional musician fronting my own band.

Oscar Jordan & The Mighty Sons of Hercules!

We play thoughout LA and anywhere we can. I also have a day gig working in the Film and TV industry researching pre-production info.

I'm also an actor and though I'm conservatory trained in that field I no longer enjoy it.

I'm a freelance writer for Vintage Guitar Magazine, Mojo, Music Connection, Univibes, and a few other publications. Check out the latest issue of Vintage Guitar magazine with my interview with Al McKay of Earth Wind & Fire. Power of the pen and all that. This is what I really love doing, and they actually pay me.

I have a wife and a morgage and the bills must be paid!:D

• Members

Originally posted by stratboy151

yes jimmy, its basic upper extension playing , simple concept yet so overlooked by oh so many

I agree. At least for me, I do study intervals, chords, modes, etc, but that's just during practice...when I play for real over blues changes, I just think about how Albert King, Freddie King, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, or somebody else I like might sound when they're making a point - you know, all those little "quotation marks" they put in, like quick, full-tone bends or double stops.

The absolute BEST, and it doesn't happen often, is when you actually hear yourself making a sentence with your solo. Like if the lyric is, "Done lost my shoes today," Your solo could say, "And I don't have money for another pair, no sir!" or something like that. When I hear blues and other players being that musical, where it's not notes but the statement or intent that comes through, that's the magic of soloing (especially blues soloing). You should remember that when you go from practicing to performing.

Most of all - have FUN! You're "playing" guitar, after all.

• Members

Originally posted by desmoines_bluesman

I agree. At least for me, I do study intervals, chords, modes, etc, but that's just during practice...when I play for real over blues changes, I just think about how Albert King, Freddie King, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, or somebody else I like might sound when they're making a point - you know, all those little "quotation marks" they put in, like quick, full-tone bends or double stops.

The absolute BEST, and it doesn't happen often, is when you actually hear yourself making a sentence with your solo. Like if the lyric is, "Done lost my shoes today," Your solo could say, "And I don't have money for another pair, no sir!" or something like that. When I hear blues and other players being that musical, where it's not notes but the statement or intent that comes through, that's the magic of soloing (especially blues soloing). You should remember that when you go from practicing to performing.

Most of all - have FUN! You're "playing" guitar, after all.

I agree. I use to try to forget everything I learned on stage and just simply try to express myself on an honest earthy level. "Just go for it!" Now I find myself wanting to do more.

Maintaining that sense of emotional connection but not have my brain shut down. Having that intellectual musical vocabulary coupled with a sense of emotion and drama is the {censored}. :D

Archived