Recommended Lesson books with CDs

• Members

How about posting recommendation for Lesson or learning books with CDs. I know there is plenty of great info on the web, but do like a book rather then bound pages.

I prefer CDs that have most of the exercises in them, verses just a backing track at the end lesson. I find it helpful to be able to hear what it is spose to sound like.

• Members

I guess given I started this thread I should make a recommendation myself. I now have about 5 of these books.

My favorite is.

Blues Lead Guitar Technique: With CD

by Peter Gelling

Each lick is on the CD, and at the end of each pattern they are all put together into a full 12 bar blues solo. Pretty cool.

• Members

There is a series of four books published by Alfred Publishing co. called the Complete Jazz Guitar Method (If that's your thing). There are four books with CD's that are comprehensive. The order our Beginning, Intermediate, Mastering Chord/Melody, Mastering Improvisation.

I believe they do a series for blues and rock guitar.

• Members

For jazz, the Jamey Abersold series is awesome. http://www.jazzbooks.com . There is a recommended order for the beginning improviser, and then there are a bunch of books particular to an artist or style (standards, blues, latin, etc.).

The players on the cds are great, and the first 4 or 5 recommended improv theory books cover a LOT of ground.

• Members

Originally posted by Rack1

I recommend the Troy Stetina series; it's really improved my playing- only good if you're into metal though.
:)

I disagree. While the Stetina series is designed with metal guitarists as its main audience, the techniques worked on are universal. Speed Mechanics is the best lead guitar book I've ever read, and I'd recommend it to any guitarist of any style who wants to improve their technique.

• Members

Originally posted by NuttyGambler

I guess given I started this thread I should make a recommendation myself. I now have about 5 of these books.

My favorite is.

Blues Lead Guitar Technique: With CD

by Peter Gelling

Each lick is on the CD, and at the end of each pattern they are all put together into a full 12 bar blues solo. Pretty cool.

yeah, it's a good book, be sure to check out the first book: Blues Lead Guitar Method. these book has cool licks and blues solos that most people should know. :)

Archived