Classic Works of Guitar Literature

• Members

Feel free to add others as you see fit.

Most of these are notation-only, for prospective buyers.

Harmonic Mechanisms for Solo Guitar, by George Van Eps, 3 Volumes (title should be self-explanatory) - Intermediate/Advanced

Solo Guitar Playing, by Frederick M. Noad, 2 Volumes

(best set on classical guitar EVER, IMO. Each book takes an average of 2 years to work through. This is the best book I've found for teaching sight-reading for guitar... thank god I learned on piano ;) ) - Beginner all the way up through to pretty damn good. Also available with CDs.

A Guide to Chords, Scales and Arpeggios, by Al Di Meola

(another self-explanatory title... not great, but a very nice book for those who want to branch out into that style of playing... complete with lesson plan) - Intermediate/Advanced... also check out his book on picking techniques... some very nice stuff.

Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, by Troy Stetina

(I have no experience with this one, but know tons of people who've recommended it highly. I believe that it was written for players of all levels)... This one features tablature.

Mel Bay Presents Classical Guitar Pedagogy: A Handbook for Teachers, by Anthony Glise (Another self-explanatory title; another one of the best classical guitar books EVER!)

And last but not least...

THE ENTIRE MEL BAY JAZZ GUITAR CATALOGUE!!!

• Members

Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar - Mickey Baker

The Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick

Plus two books that are not specifically for guitar, but are exceptional books for all musicians.

Effortless Mastery - Kenny Werner

The Jazz Theory Book - Mark Levine

THE book about chord/scale theory, voicings and a million other subjects. I've taken more theory classes than I care to remember, but none of it came together until I got this book. The Rosetta Stone of practical theory.

Archived