Need to learn, where to start.

moorehed

• Members

I'm going to embrase the new forum :)

So here's the deal. I have been playing guitar for about 8 years. I took lessons for a while then basically have taught myself everything just from jamming. I am in a band now, have been for a couple years. I can write fine, I can play fine by feel... but when it comes to actual theory, actual teqnique, actual me knowing what note i'm hitting and why, i am at a loss.

Jamming stuff out i'm fine, i can find my way around the guitar, but i feel sometime's i am hesitnat because when i actually start thinking about it, i dont know why i'm playing what i'm playing, or how to play it better, change things up, etc. I feel my creativity is limited becaseu i dont know more theory and things...

also i find that most of the time i dont really end up playing that much when i'm not jamming with the band. I'd like some reccomendations on where to start getting back on track. some ideas on what stuff i should start learning first, and most importantly, a system that will help me to keep at it on a regular basis.

know this was rather longwinded... but...any ideas?

btw- stratcat, your review was the reason i got my agile LP about 6 months ago... it's great, thanks :D

• Members

well, i was laying in bed and thinking about how sad it is how little i know compared to what's out there.... then i started trying to figure out exactly what i do know...

all the major chords in the open position
a bunch of the minor chords
barre chords
power chords
octive power chords
a few other random chords

the notes in the first 12 frets on the 2 low strings off the top of my head
i can figure out any note but it takes me a bit of thinking time
about one blues scale that i officially know, in box form

can figure out time signatures... sometimes with a bit more work than others
i know there are thirds and fiths, sixths etc... not exactly sure of the thoery there
i was able to note read at one point... sure can't anymore
i dont know a whole lot of other ppl's songs... forget everythign i learn when i stop practicing it
i'm not real fast....

alright, now that you know the pathetic amount of stuff i've picked up in the past 8 years.... maybe you can better help me figure out where to start, and how to stay on track!

here's a rough mix of me playing with my band, a new song we wrote... check it out for another glimpse into my guitar playing
http://www.belesspeople.com/bloodshot.mp3

• Members

Here is a head start. Take lessons that fovus on gutiar theory to learn more, or get a book.

Major scale contains the intervals W=whole, H=half
WWHWWWH

so in C, a major scale is:

C D E F G A B C

3rd, 5th, and so on, and the notes in the order of the major scale in that key.

so a 3rd in C is a E, a 5th is a F.

Major chords are constructed off of the 1st, 3rd, and 5th of a scale.

Minor chords have a flattened 3rd.

From here, it is tough to explain thingswithout key signatures. If you understand key signatures, I could talk about how major and minor scales relate, other modes, and the such.

Hope this helps a little.

• Members

It sounds like you are a pretty good player, you just need to connect your mind with your fingers.

Try the William Leavitt Guitar Method books. They move you along pretty fast, but still give a good grounding in all the basic concepts. They are the text books from Guitar 101 at the Berklee College of Music.

I think they are a solid, well accepted, and universal method. They should at least get you started on the road to something more personal.

I think the whole set (3 volumes) can be purchased for less than $30.

• Members

ha hello josh (moorehed).

im in the same boat as moorehed. altho ive been reading some theory stuff lately and ive picked up a few scales and know the basics of chord theory now.

i think lessons are the key. i wonder if we could split lessons at the Raleigh Music Academy, josh. i know of a highly recommend teacher there.

i still think someone should start a series of threads that in order start w/ the basics and sequentially work up. in these threads of course ppl could ask questions, etc. it woudl provide a greatly more organized database for the archives

Archived