Floyd Rose Setup

stratcat

• Members

Floyd Rose problems are frequently asked, so here is my approach to setting one up properly. These little devils can be fun and useful but at the same time very frustrating. This is just my thoughts and the way I do it, and is in no way to be considered the only way to do the setup.

We'll assume that we are starting with new strings. When I replace strings, I always stretch them as I put the new one on. So, clip the ball end off, insert it into the saddle and tighten down, do not over tighten, I usually go 1/4 turn past finger tight. Then run the string through the locking nut, and up to the peg, run the string through the peg and leave yourself a little slack. A good rule of thumb here is leave enough to put three turns on the peg, do not put too much on the peg this will allow slippage and two few will also do the same. When I get the string properly secured on the peg and in the saddle, I give them a good stretch so I don't have to deal with them later, I usually use my thumb as an anchor on the fretboard around the 18th fret or so, and grasp the string in my fingers and then I give it a few gentle pulls away from the guitar, I do this to each string as I go.. the majority of the string's stretching is now done.

Now, the FR is a floating trem, for it to float properly the base of the trem (where the saddles bolt into) needs to be paralell to the body. Start with the guitar in tune, or close, it doesn't have to be perfect at this point. If the base has an upward or downward angle it will never return to "zero" and will always go out of tune when used. This can be adjusted with the screws in back that hold the claw into the body. If your base is angled upward (the rear - towards the strap pin - is higher than the pivot point, you need to tighten these screws. I usually do them 1/4 turn at a time and when I get close to being right, I switch to 1/8 turn at a time. Note: you must do both screws equally. If the base is angled downward, the opposite applies, back the screws out from the body allowing the claw to come out.

Now, with our base paralell we are ready to tune, when tuning, I find it best/easiest to tune in the following manner: Loosen the locking nut and back the fine tuners out almost as far as they will go. I personally tune in the followng manner: Low E, then high E, then back to the Low E and then I do the A, then the B. At this time I recheck the low E, high E, A and B then to the D and G strings. This, in my mind anyhow, equalizes the pull on the trem and helps me getting it tuned. This may work for you, you may think it's foolish and not worth it, here again it's my opinion, but give it a try and see.

On a closing note, when I change strings, I do them one at a time, to me changing all of the strings at once is like making a soup sandwich, it just doesn't work real well.

Ask questions if you have some, and enjoy!!

Archived