Should I take lessons?

DeFLinK3

• Members

Here's my story. I've been playing for a little over 1 1/2 years and havent taken any lessons. I know the basics, I learn lots of songs, I can handle a good amount of stuff. But i dont know jack about theory, so i need to learn some, and I'd also like to improve my technique (get a little faster etc). I have the option of taking lessons with this amazing guitar player once every other week. I know hes a good teacher and he knows his stuff, but i dont know if i really need to take lessons. With this new forum and all the hundreds of free lessons sites on the web, plus my John Petrucci Rock Discipline book which I have yet to delve into, is there much else I can get out of guitar lessons? I can probably get just as much by reading up on this stuff on my own, which will take patience, which I'm gonna have to learn to get. Any opinions/experiences? Thanks

• Members

It depends how confident you feel about learning on your own. Remember that for every problem you find that you can correct, there is probably a few more that you don't notice. A teacher will notice these and help you fix them.

Also, having a teacher will accelerate your learning.

Ultimately it depends where you want to get with playing guitar. If you want to be shred master of the cosmos, then I think you'll need some sort of training.

My opinion is that you should give lessons a try for a little while, maybe a few months. See how it affects your playing, and judge whether you need lessons or not. It's the only way you can make a fair decision.

• Members

I say definitely take lessons, four big reasons

1) A teacher can see what you do well, what needs improvement, what is improving faster or slower than other things and what is simply not physically comfortable for you. This will help you focus your learning and progress more rapidly and holistically. The big problem most people have with self learning is that there is too much information availbale out there, and they get overwhelmed and end up just spinning their wheels.

2) A book can only tell you what it tells you, in the way it tells you. A teacher can explain the same concept nine or ten different ways until they find one that 'clicks' for you. For space and redundancy reasons, no book will explain every different approach to the same concept. If the author doesn't speak to your wau of thinking, you're stuck.

3) As musicians, we tend to be harder on ourselves than enybody would ever dream of being to us. A teacher can provide much needed support and encouragement. This will help you get over the slow periods.

4) A teacher has many students, and is probably a professional musician in their own right. They can get you out of your practice room and into the community, which is where all the real valuable learning takes place.

Archived