Lie back and think of............

Russ T Nail

• Members

.........the fretboard !,

possibly not what you were expecting (or indeed hoping for ;) ) but the mods would have censored the alternative :p

Anyway, the point of this little missive is this: visualisation

I have seen this mentioned in 2 posts today and it's something I have found to be increasingly beneficial in understanding the fretboard, e.g. scales and arpeggios, plotting your progress and clearing those clouds that we all seem to experience when learning new skills.

Put simply, when learning the fretboard or indeed part of it, spend some time, with your eyes closed, mentally picturing what it is you are trying to learn. Visualise the fretboard and imagine your hands fingering the appropriate pattern in the same way as you would do physically.

I will guarantee that if you find it difficult and have mental blocks doing this exercise you will stutter when it comes to using the fretboard.

This applies to all levels of exercise however basic or complex. If you don't believe me try something simple like the pentatonic box pattern we all know and love. Now try the exercise you were practicing today. Notice the difference ??

I'm not suggesting that you need to develop a kind of yoga approach to this but I do believe it is helpful to clarify in your mind what is to be played and that your hands will follow (still with the odd hiccup in my case :( )

Hope this has been helpful

Take care

Russ T

• Members

YES !!!

It is mental practice, to run through what you trying to learn in your head while you are away from the guitar.e.g. waiting for a bus ,standing in queues etc.

It enables you to use the actual pratice to concentrate on the difficult bits.

But sometimes I get lazy.....

• Members

YES!!! YES!!! YESS~!!!!!

Visualisation is great stuff! It helps in anything you are trying to learn. I annually go to a hackey camp every summer in canada. There they have a special seminar that teaches about using viualisation in sports (and anything). Mos tthe kids thought it was wierd and dismissed it. But I became curious tried it out a little and immediately I began getting better at hockey. It really truely is good stuff don't be afriad to try it!

• Members

One note...

If you scrunch up your eyes, grit your teeth and concentrate really hard on the fretboard...when it comes time to play you will be stiff and tight and tense. Bad times.

But if you relax, take deep breaths, calm your mind, and realize that it is simply impossible to make mistakes when everything is only happening in your mind, when you play what you've been visualising you will return to that same habit of being relaxed and at peace.

• Members

Thanks for the responses folks, glad you agree with me.

tham,

totally agree with your post.

The more I get into it the more I realise that your approach to playing starts in the mind. If, as you correctly say, you are relaxed and calm, your fingers will do things and go places almost of their own accord !

It doesn't always work out, but I am starting to understand what people are talking about when they mention a mind & body approach.

And no, I am not talking beads, joss sticks and banned substances in doing this ;)

Take care all Russ

Archived