Guitar lessons question

chrisjnyc

• Members

Thinking of taking some private lessons again. Gave up a while back... I have been playing for a while, but am in kind of rut now.

What is the going price for private guitar lessons? I prefer the pay-by-the-hour setup.

Can anyone recommend any good teachers in NYC? Looking for more bluesock skills, and music theory too.

Chris

• Members

In most stores these days its 15 to 25 dollars for 30 to 45 minutes.

When i charge someone it depends on if i drive to their place or they come to me. And on the length of time expected. I generally give an hour to an hour and a half and charge 25 bucks. But i seldom charge anyone unless they insist on paying or are not practicing what i ask them to each week.

I stopped giving lessons years ago as a means of income and now just help people now and then like you who are in a rut. Most of the people ive taight recently were just starting lead work and lost.

I also used to have my own method for sale in stores where i taught and at home. I would sell my book below for 100 dollars and give 4 free lessons of 45 minutes each. Since each lesson would have cost around 20 bucks at that time the the book really only cost the student 20 bucks.

I did that because so many people came in wanting lessons but quit after they saw they were not going to go home in a couple weeks and shred.... This way i got more money up front on a regular basis.

Bur lessons and teaching were always pretty much a side job for me.

Archived