arpeggios?

Old Geezer

• Members

Can someone explain in laymen's terms what an arpeggio is and about their use or importance? I have heard the term used several times, but having little musical therory I don't really understand what they are. Any help would be appreciated in explaining their significance.

• Members

An arpeggio is a chord spelled out. Played one note at a time. If you play C,E, and G at the same time, that's playing a chord. If you play them as a sequence it's an arpeggio, a C Major arpeggio.

Further, one speaks of ascending and descending arps. Self explanatory at this point I hope ;)

You could do what no one else has done and check out my "Son of" thread to hear some arps in action.

• Members

I go into these in simple terms on my lessons at my site below (which are free).

You can play an arpeggio as the individual notes of the chord or just use some of the notes in the chord. The old trumpet CHARGE call is an easy example of an arpeggio. Only you repeated the last two notes to finish the phrase.

Arpeggios and sweep picking get people mixed up some times. The main differences in the two are that the sweepers are looking mostly for melodic speed and execution where they can move up the neck quickly. The arpeggio guys tend to use them for melodic phrasing with interesting chord combinations. But the two can and do get intertwined. You can sweep playing arpeggios for example!....

• Members

Hi Geez,

Unfortunately, arpeggios have got a dirty name as they seem to be almost entirely identified with Yngwie and the 80's poodle perm set.

*ducks to avoid Malmsteen fans missiles :p *

As Fred5 and the Kat have pointed out, a major arpeggio for example is no more than the notes (Root, Maj 3rd, 5th) played seperately.

I'm sure Kat's lessons cover tthe positions but arpeggios are essential tool in creating melody and avoiding sounding 'scaly'.

Forget the hype, they are quite easy to learn ;) and will add a whole dimension to your playing,

Regards

Russ T

• Members

'sup Russ,

You know it's funny, I've been using these for years but never really knew the name or definition of them. Just goes to show that everyone needs therory. In the least it will help in discussing things. Thanks for taking time to respond.

hhersh,

I can see where they fit in country music. Actually, I probably hear them used more there than in most other styles. Well, maybe in jazz more. Thanks for your reply.

Archived