soloing in the key of E

• Members

Here's a trick I love to use -- use pull offs down the mixolydian scale on the high E string, and throw in the occasional note on the B string as well. Just play each note and pull off to the open E. Go down 2 notes on the E, then throw in one on the B, and repeat. Make up your own patterns, there's a billion.
Another fun trick is to play the sixth intervals on the G and high E strings all the way down the E mixo scale, using pull-offs to the open E. For instance (all sixteenths):
E: 12^0 10^0 9^0 7^0

G: 13 11 9 7

etc. etc.
kinda rockabillyish, and you can go REEEELLY fast

I hope that lines up when posted. I also hope you can decipher what the hell I'm talking about -- I'm sometimes a poor explainer :)

• Members

allman brothers isn't all pentatonic, but mainly their solos tend to stay around the notes of the blues scales, but they almost never stay inside the blues scale. The other notes from the minor scale that are left out of the pentatonic scale (2nd, 6th) can sometimes be used, but those often times don't sound good. You can use them in some of these times, but this will create tension (which you "resolve" by hitting a strong or complementary tone, the strongest of which is the tonic, or root). Dickey and Duane also both loved to incorporate certain tones of the major scale into a minor key. The key is to learn which tones will work and which won't, which you will develop a feel for with practice. Play the progression and jam along, trying different notes and licks to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. For a pretty, melodic tune, especially in a strong key like Em, many times the best thing to do is to stick with the blues scale with added "color" tones.

• Members

Originally posted by noblues=notrock

allman brothers isn't all pentatonic, but mainly their solos tend to stay around the notes of the blues scales, but they almost never stay inside the blues scale. The other notes from the minor scale that are left out of the pentatonic scale (2nd, 6th) can sometimes be used, but those often times don't sound good. You can use them in some of these times, but this will create tension (which you "resolve" by hitting a strong or complementary tone, the strongest of which is the tonic, or root). Dickey and Duane also both loved to incorporate certain tones of the major scale into a minor key. The key is to learn which tones will work and which won't, which you will develop a feel for with practice. Play the progression and jam along, trying different notes and licks to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. For a pretty, melodic tune, especially in a strong key like Em, many times the best thing to do is to stick with the blues scale with added "color" tones.

thanks. this helps alot.

i also found that i can use a Db pentatonic.

Archived