Learning and Knowing your Scales? Please Help!

• Members

I'm not quite sure how to phase this question but.....

How did you guys learn your scales so that you know them all over the neck?

But, when I say "know them" I mean, basically being able to play a solo in any key, any mode, any position all over the neck without running through patterns (box patterns). I mean like, really knowing the scale, being able to jump positions easily, changing from like a 3 note per string pattern to a 2 note per string etc. I hope you can understand what I mean. Basically, not having to use a mermorized pattern.

Ways I have thought about doing this are,

1. Learning the notes all over the neck, and playing the scales based on those certian note, eg) c major, I would look for a c then look for the closest d, then look for the e and so on

2. Memorising the intervals between each note in a scale and using that to ascend and descend eg) c major, start on c, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step and so on

3. Using my ears to play a scale all over the fretboard but staying in position, on the way up I do any stretches with my 1st finger, and on the ay down I do any stretches with my pinky. This one was suggested to me by a teacher, but I feel that this has just gotten me into memorizing patterns (which I'm trying not to do)

4. Another person, suggested I just take two patterns, run them up and down all over the neck in different keys, then run them in 3rds... but he said he'd explain what to do next later

What do you guys do, or what did you do?

Any advice?

Which one of these would you choose and work on?

Any other suggestions?

Basically, all I want is a way to learn and know scales all over the fretboard without memorizing patterns, and hopefully to be able to apply it to all keys and all modes.

HELP! I'VE BEEN TRYING TO DEVELOP A WAY TO LEARN AND KNOW SCALES FOR ALMOST A YEAR.

Anyways, please help out, this is really bothering me and has me stuck in a playing rutt. I know this may sound frantic and confusing, but I REALLY REALLY NEED YOUR GUYS HELP.

Thanks in advance, Pat

P.S. This board was a great idea!

• Members

learn the sounds....
remember Do Re Me Fa So La Ti Do from kindergarten? thats ya major scale right there.
pick a note-thats your Do, now hear the next note in your head and play it
do this all over the next on all different strings going up the neck and across the fret board
having the sound in your brain and ears is much better than a stupid visual pattern IMO
btw-i learned them by pattern before i did this

• Members

Look at all the fingerings for all the different positions for one key. Lay them out side by side, starting with the lowest position, with the next position up the neck next to it, and so on. You'll see that the notes played by your 3rd an 4th fingers in one position are the same notes played by your 1st and 2nd fingers in the next position. You can slide up or down the strings on what ever finger feel right for you. Start out slowly, it's easier than you think

• Members

Pattern playing worked for me bigtime!

Thats where you learn a picture of the notes in a scale as a pattern and just visually overlay them anywhere on the neck you want.

This makes scale work a breeze.

But, there are good things in each of the ideas you mentioned as well. Its all part of a well rounded musician.

For example, when i was in school i had to learn all the scales with all the correct sharps and flats by note names for trumpet and other brass instruments. So i have the ability to think out the names in any scale from memory of how many (and what where the names of) each sharp or flat in any key signature.

Someimes thats an advantage, but sometimes its a hinderance. Why? because i can visualize a scale faster than i can recall each name of each note in the proper order for any key.

But im not saying that patterns are the best or only way to go. Learning all the notes on the neck by memory, the key signatures and number of accidentals in each will still be a benefit to you as well.If interested in patterns check out my lessons below.

Archived