voicing.

mukuzi

• Members

Here's a guess:
You can play the flat 5 in the bass in order to get a tri tone substitution. This doesn't sound to great unless you ommit (sp?) the the fifth in the chord structure. (which I find to be somewhat common in the first place)
Say C7: C E G Bb
The tritone is E and Bb (3 and dom7)
Play Gb in bass.
Gb C E Bb (leaving out fifth (G))
Now Gb=1 Dbb©=b5 E=dom7 Bb=3
same tritone Bb and E (E, Bb just flipped)

This gives you a dominant diminished fifth chord. Gb7-5

Did I win? :D
Please o wise one show me my error! I've gotta a feeling a made one. Or just didn't answer the question.

• Members

Originally posted by skatan

it is not a bad poem

well maybe it is................

anyway

its about voicing the dominant chord

somthing i feel very strongly about

think of it as a quiz with no prize:)

what I was asking is if you could rephrase the question more clearly, I do not understand it.

"when voicing seventh chords

this starts out like a question but does not finish like one

the root or the third or the seventh in the bass only

there is no verb in this sentence.

I'm really not trying to be rude, I'm funning with you, but I just don't understand what you were/are asking.

• Members
Originally posted by sansunzeste

Here's a guess:

You can play the flat 5 in the bass in order to get a tri tone substitution. This doesn't sound to great unless you ommit (sp?) the the fifth in the chord structure. (which I find to be somewhat common in the first place)

Say C7: C E G Bb

The tritone is E and Bb (3 and dom7)

Play Gb in bass.

Gb C E Bb (leaving out fifth (G))

Now Gb=1 Dbb(C)=b5 E=dom7 Bb=3

same tritone Bb and E (E, Bb just flipped)

This gives you a dominant diminished fifth chord. Gb7-5

Did I win?
:D
Please o wise one show me my error! I've gotta a feeling a made one. Or just didn't answer the question.

the chord will change names my son
it now be D7b13

I just don't understand what you were/are asking.

is there another way to voice a dominant chord, other than with the third or seventh (or root) in the bass

• Members

is there another way to voice a dominant chord, other than with the third or seventh (or root) in the bass

What is wrong with voicing with the 5th in the bass?

I would do that more often than the 3rd or 7th in the bass. (unless I was going for a completely rootless voicing, say in a larger ensemble)

For instance, one of the standard 'Freddie Green' voicings:

G7

D - B - F

5 - 3 - 7

E: X

B: X

G: 10

D: 9

A: X

E: 10

• Members

Of course, after reading some other posts of yours, it occurs to me that you may be talking about classical voicing in a similar manner to the ongoing "counterpoint and voice leading" threads. In which case feel free to ignore my previous post as I was talking about practical voicings for guitar in an ensemble situation.

Apples and Oranges.

• Members

the chord will change names my son

it now be D7b13

I understand the question now and my answer had nothing to do with it but why would a Gb C E Bb chord be D7-13? Im confused. Are you saying without the D root? What I was trying to say was by simply changing the bass note to Gb in a C7 chord it makes it a Gb7-5 chord. Maybe I'm wrong. My answer has nothing to do with inversions, which now I understand was what your question was regarding.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived