CAGED question

• Members

i recently opened a book titled "scales over chords" that i've had for years, but have pretty much ignored. the entire book is based on the CAGED system, which is very easy to understand. so my question is more of a preference question than anything else.

has anybody found a practical application for the "G" shape higher on the neck? i find my ears can't tell much of a difference when i play a c chord at the 8th fret using the "G" shape, from the "E" shape. can you?

• Members

i break the G shape into two parts....upper and lower
lower:
e-x
b-5
g-5
d-5
a-7
E-(8)
upper
e-8
b-5
g-5
d-5
a-7
E-x
i do this cause i can't play the whole thing w/out bothering my hand

i use the caged system more to come up with extened chords than anything else...they sound too folky for me just regular
try there for the G shape:
Cmaj7
e-x
b-5
g-5
d-5
a-x
E-7
or
e-7
b-5
g-5
d-5
a-x
E-x
Cmaj13
e-5
b-5
g-7
d-7
a-x
E-8
Cmaj7#11
e-x
b-7
g-7
d-7
a-x
E-8
Cmaj13
e-7
b-5
g-5
d-7
a-7
E-x
now some E form shapes:
Cmaj7
e-7
b-8
g-9
d-9
a-x
E-8
Cmaj13
e-x
b-8
g-7
d-9
a-x
E-8
Cmaj7#11
e-8
b-8
g-9
d-10
a-x
E-8
Cmaj9
e-7
b-8
g-7
d-10
a-7
E-x
ehhh so to answer your question:yes, there is a difference, but there is even MORE of a difference when you use them to make cooler sounding chords, which is what CAGED is all about IMO

• Members

Originally posted by evan_02

btw-i've found the CAGED shapes to be pretty useful for learning arpeggios too

the C shape IS the major arpeggio i learned all those years ago. i still can't sweep it for {censored}, but i do know it. this book i have "scales over chords" is quite good with showing you the chord shape, the corresponding scale, and the arpeggio, as well as giving you exercises. i'm glad i'm finally getting around to using it for what its meant for. its about time i got interested in theory again.

Archived