Is this a legitimate practice method??

Daigoro

• Members

I am just wondering.. While practicing a solo/rhythm part I close my eyes and try to do it without looking at the frets. I can do it pretty good, but not good enough to risk messing up at live gigs. To me it is fun, i am going to do it anyway, do you do it to improve your technique?

• Members

Definitely. Except instead of closing my eyes, I just stare into space or stare at a picture or something while visualising the fretboard. It started out really difficult, but keeps getting easier.

The only reason I would say don't close your eyes is because when you are up on stage playing, you might want to be aware of major events like the drummer dying of a heart-attack, or a beer bottle headed for your skull, or some numb-nut about to spill a Margarita on your amp.

• Members

Hey! You forgot the most important point: If you close your eyes you may not see the groupies who are frantically trying to get your attention/phone number/drug!!! I only do it with closed eyes at home, like I said I am too scared to do it at a concert now. Anybody have a good advice to tighten up your rhythm playing? I am playing these damn power chords for ten years now but I could use definately more of the 'rhythm machine' and less of the 'drunk and stoned hippie' sound sometimes :).:)

Archived