"Kid Charlemagne"

• Members

I'm bored. My playing sucks. My technique is sloppy and I'm sick of playing blues. I also have two weeks off from the band.

What do I do? I get off my ass and decide to learn Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne" not for note. I have an excellent transcription. I've worked out everything except the very last few bars of the solo.

Larry Carlton is a bad mother {censored}er. Bluesy phrasing but with a brain. Hip arpeggios that sound like actual music instead of exercises. This tune is so funky. The chords he's playing over are very cool and easy to apply to the blusey stuff I already play.

Yeah, it's tedious working out every single bop phrase and lick. I thought I would have given up by now but I'm nailing it.

I recommend this tune to anyone who wants open their minds and get into Larry's head.

• Members

Man, you're right about Carlton! He's right up there with my favorite guitarist, Robben Ford.

That tune is one I've always been meaning to learn to play, but haven't ever sat down and taken the time. Will you be posting your transcription here when you get it done?

• Members

Originally posted by Wayrockin1

Man, you're right about Carlton! He's right up there with my favorite guitarist, Robben Ford.

That tune is one I've always been meaning to learn to play, but haven't ever sat down and taken the time. Will you be posting your transcription here when you get it done?

I'm not transcribing it. I got the transcription from a magazine. I'm just learning to play it. I'm sure it's fairly easy to find.

• Members

Jimmy, what you said about being bored, sloppy and tired of playing blues is EXACTLY what I have been feeling lately.

I need to get off my ass and learn some new stuff.

I'm going to try Kid Charlemaign.

I'm not pretending that I'm even close to being good enough to play LC, but damn it I'm gonna give it a shot.

When I started 35 years ago I couln't even imagine playing some of the stuff I can now so I guess I can learn this stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by lechip

Jimmy, what you said about being bored, sloppy and tired of playing blues is EXACTLY what I have been feeling lately.

I need to get off my ass and learn some new stuff.

I'm going to try Kid Charlemaign.

I'm not pretending that I'm even close to being good enough to play LC, but damn it I'm gonna give it a shot.

When I started 35 years ago I couln't even imagine playing some of the stuff I can now so I guess I can learn this stuff.

Thing is I'm nowhere near Larry Carlton. I'm almost done learning the solo and all I can think of is, "Yeah, I can play it. But I would have never thought of playing this solo like he does.

Kinda like modern art. "I could have done that!" "Yeah, but you didn't think of doing it."

This ain't no "Blues Box" 3rd generation Clapton extrapolations. Carlton is all over the neck. He using blues bends, super arpeggios, and even pedal tone licks. Then there's the Bop influence.

The other thing I learned is that simply jamming is one thing but getting your discipline together is a whole other thing. I don't mess around too much with other stuff. I sit down and tedioulsy go over every phrase over and over again and hearing the note choices in context of the chords under it.

A great education. Playing that sucker in time with the recording is great for your chops. No up and down scales. You're playing actual music.

After this I might have find something else on Royal Scam to tackle. Guitar can get boring but this stuff wakes your ass up.

• Members

Ya I love Steely Dan. I learned those solo's a long time ago too. I guess the second one was just improved and he did it on his first or second take. AMAZING. I love that guy. I have the box set and learned almost every song he played on. Truely an amazing player.

• Members

I finally nailed the entire solo a couple of days ago. It's very cool. Some how I thought the heavens would open up and a light bulb would come on over my head but it didn't.

Technically it's not outrageously hard. It's just sequences of notes that you would have never thought of putting together. Not necessarily easy to finger either. No pattern playing or blues box stuff. All melody. It just takes time.

Basically Carlton plays all around or in between Am or CM but it's his choice of notes that's the issue. When, where, and what context. He leaves lots of space as well and his phrasing is to die for. A combination of blues bends, pedal tone licks, and...and...well, Carlton is just a bad mother {censored}er.

I'm gonna have go back to square one and figure out these note choices over these chords. Wish my chord theory was better.

• Members
Originally posted by Fred5

JJ, is it the studio version with Steely Dan you've been working on? Listening to it now...

bless the web
:D
Great tune, great playing.

Is there any other version? Sure, there's the live stuff that came out a few years back but Carlton is nowhere to be found.

Royal Scam is cherry.

• Members

I was messing around with it last night. I believe it's Cm. It's too hip. But I'm finding I'm not learning much other than how to play it. The light hasn't come on yet.

It's about his tasty note selection not scales. I was doing some research and found out that Fagan and Becker busted Carlton's ass on that solo. They had two hours of recorded solos from Carlton over that progression and they simply chose the bits they liked. No wonder it's so good.

• Members

Hey guys I'm a huge Carlton fan!

During that time Larry was into superimposing triads rather than playing out of scales. That way he would get those wide interval leaps 3rds, 4ths and 5ths.

So for example if you are playing in A minor Carlton might play out of a C (3,5,7), Em (5,7,9), or G (7,9, 11) triad.

I am also a huge Robben Fan....check out my board!

http://www.dhenderson.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

• Members
Originally posted by Kirk95

Hey guys I'm a huge Carlton fan!

During that time Larry was into superimposing triads rather than playing out of scales. That way he would get those wide interval leaps 3rds, 4ths and 5ths.

So for example if you are playing in A minor Carlton might play out of a C (3,5,7), Em (5,7,9), or G (7,9, 11) triad.

I am also a huge Robben Fan....check out my board!

http://www.dhenderson.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Very cool.

Archived