chords without rhythm suck!

aeverson

• Members

Assuming you already know what the song sounds like, you should be able to use your ear to hear when a chord changes, and tab spacing really doesn't give you any steadfast rhythm like standard notation.

I have seen alot of tab with the rhythm wriiten in, but not too much on the 'net.

If you are having trouble figuring out the rhythm, sing a line of the song slowly while tapping your foot to the beat(without playing), then try adding the chords that are wriiten in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I still suck a big one but the way I figure out chord rythm is to listen to the song, get really into it by tapping my foot bopping along with the music then right in the middle of it just start playing whether I actually have my fingering right or not. Dunno, works for me :D

• Members

Originally posted by aeverson

I hate it when I want to learn how to play a song and I look online for the tabs - I find them, only to learn that they just list the chords and no rhthym. That pisses me off! What's the point?

Listen to the song and learn the rhythm by ear. You're better off that way.

• Members

Originally posted by thamiam

Huh. Can you give me an example of tab with and w/out rhythm?

I could be wrong, but I took it to mean that he doesn't like it when it simply shows the chords and not the melody/harmony line for guitar, or riffs and lead parts.

I tend to be indifferent about this because I can usually figure out the riffs and leads by ear. If I'm wrong, oh well. When I play it out, it sounds like me while keeping the integrity of the original piece. The only time I'd worry about being spot on with a riff or lead is when every joe and his mother know the song, like with Heartbreaker (well, not the solo there...) and Purple Haze.

• Members

That's why Tab is such a waste of time. It only tells you what the notes are. I know it's useful for figuring out solos and licks, but you would be better off figuring out the notes using your ears. When you learn how to read, you learn the language of your craft, and that opens up many doors for you.

• Members

Originally posted by 555

That's why Tab is such a waste of time. It only tells you what the notes are. I know it's useful for figuring out solos and licks, but you would be better off figuring out the notes using your ears. When you learn how to read, you learn the language of your craft, and that opens up many doors for you.

i completely agree. If you can't hear the notes/chords/rhythm, etc... from listening to a tune, then you aint gonna get very far. Also, all the tab on the internet is all wrong. I've never seen a bit of tab that's been right, ever. Work it out for yourself.

• Members

Reading a solo in standard notation can be extremely difficult. To me this is where Tab really comes in handy. You can look at the notation for rhythm, etc. and check the tab as a qhick postioning reference.

Tablature has been around as a method of notation for hundreds of years and is a valuble tool. Make use of all sources-- notation-tab-charts-diagrams-you name it....

• Members

Originally posted by JohnnyD

i completely agree. If you can't hear the notes/chords/rhythm, etc... from listening to a tune, then you aint gonna get very far. Also, all the tab on the internet is all wrong. I've never seen a bit of tab that's been right, ever. Work it out for yourself.

some people arent as good with their ears as others. and it takes a good amount of time to hone your ear like that, especially when listening to it through distortion and other effects.

and how do you know that all tab on the internet is wrong? and how do you know what you think is right actually is right? i think thats a pretty uneducated thing to say, beingas their is a multitude of ways to play any given chord.

• Members

Thanks ralphster, I hadn't seen anything like that before. Looks like it would be pretty useful for when positioning and transitions are very important.

I hate it when there is tab underneath the standard notation, because I like to figure out my own way to position the notes (usually several ways), and I feel like I'm cheating when I give in to temptation and look at the tab.

• Members

Perfect example. Here are the chords for Brown Eyed Girl, but how does one know the strumming technique? I grew up playing drums and need to see that beat. Any help?

Brown Eyed Girl

Van Morrison

A D A E7

Hey, where did we go days when the rain came

A D A E7

Down in the hollow playing a new game

A D A E7

Laughing, and a running, hey, hey. Skipping and a jumping

A D A E7 A

in the misty morning fog, with our hearts a thumpin' and you

D F#m D E7 A E7

my brown eyed girl You, my brown eyed girl