Beginner/Intermediate Videos/Books

• Members

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, but I still have to ask it. Does anyone know of any good books/videos to learn off of? Iv been attempting to learn guitar for the past 3 or 4 months and Iv definately progressed, but rather slowly. I think being able to see someone else play (i dont know anyone "good" that plays guitar) would really help. Im thinking about getting some of the books by Troy Stetina (even though I dont care for heavy metal). But if any of you can suggest some good videos or books For a beginner (not an absolute beginner) that would be great.

• Members

I have used Progressive methods Book I and II and they are good books for notation www.kolabooks.com I think?
They dont have modern songs or tab, but do take you through step by step. Using this along with the WOlf Marshall Guitar Mehtod www.stagepassmusic.com will give you a better understanding,(Tab and notation)Wolf also has modern rock books to supplement his method with enjoyable songs.
I have used both together for teaching, If You get progressive make sure you get Method I beginner and Method II intermediate since they have other similar titles.

• Members

The Stetina books are awesome. I have Metal Lead Guitar Volume 1 and Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar. I've been playing for like 7 years, but before I played strictly rhythm without even a notion of soloing. Now I would like to solo and play lead, so I'm having to learn that entire aspect of guitar. Even if you are not interested in metal, the Speed Mechanics book can still help you. I started working on the exercises in it like 4 days ago, and I felt that they were useless because I saw no results so far. Then out of nowhere last night, I was suddenly able to play way faster and cleaner than I ever did before. Absolutely amazing.

• Members

I collect guitar related instructional material. Now if someone were to tell me I could keep ONLY one item in my instructional collection of DVDs,Cds,Videos,Books and tapes I would elect to keep Speed Mechanics without having to think for a moment. It is a Book/Cd for lifetime IMHO:D

Archived