Looking for arpeggio ideas

darial

• Members

I've decided that I want to put in some practice on arpeggio ideas - I know how to find them and play them and all that, but I've never incorperated them into my playing in any serious way.

So can you all suggest some tunes or lessons that focus on applying them? Preferably not in a high speed metal context - I'll look at that later.

• Members
Originally posted by darial

I've decided that I want to put in some practice on arpeggio ideas - I know how to find them and play them and all that, but I've never incorperated them into my playing in any serious way.

So can you all suggest some tunes or lessons that focus on applying them? Preferably not in a high speed metal context - I'll look at that later.

Any scale generates arpeggios, if you play every other note in any scale that's an arp. I you have a situation were a dorian scale (mode) is being
applied you have 7 triad arps to start with since you have seven notes in that scale. Add to those a
major or dominant seventh and you've got 14 arps.
Then you can splice two arps together in different
ways, say the A minor seventh and the B minor seventh arp...

I have some recent threads here somewhere about
arps. Clips and tab and words. Check em out. :)

Btw, sax players and others plays more arps
than guitarists (or at least differently) because
they - the arps - are more accessible on those
instruments. Arps are relatively difficult to play
on guitar.

• Members

Arpeggios have become the foundation of my soloing technique. Ever since I got my sweep picking going smoothly, I run up and down the fretboard arpeggiating all sorts of chords, not just triads, but dominant sevenths, stacked tritones, diminished chords, those funny altered jazz chords, and whatever you like.

My advice is firstly to strum a chord progression, and then you can use this to create single note arpeggios, with extra little licks thrown in between for variety and character.

• Members

it gives the lisener a sense of "jazz"
i am lisening to jazz as the players are spewing arps at me at a very fast rate
are they practising at the gig?

i am a little over this sound as a lot of players rely on getting thru hundreds of arps in a few choruses and its boring !

thinking ahead plotting all the patterns, has jazz become a contact sport, like slap bass in the 80`s massive amounts of swept arps will suround us and ultimatly... i will screem...

man allthat sweeping is making me hurt:eek:

• Members
Originally posted by skatan

it gives the lisener a sense of "jazz"

i am lisening to jazz as the players are spewing arps at me at a very fast rate

are they practising at the gig?

Yeah, that's what students do. I agree with you
it can sound mechanical and boring. Jazz turned into a sport. Isn't that called fusion? :D

Archived