"Rate my Playings" in the Lesson Loft?

edeltorus

• Members

Just wondering..

I posted a "rate my playing" thread some days ago in the general guitar forum, and now I ask myself if this kind of posting is "allowed" here...

In the guitar-forum there is so much traffic, that the chances, that someone really puts an ear to your work and writes a line or two is small..

I think the attitude here is a little bit different, and the chances that you get more feedback than a polite "I like it" are higher.

What's your oppinion about that? Is it ok to post such things here, or should the threads be strictly ontopic?

Nils.

• Members
My advice is to post it on Vets, and leave the Lesson Loft for, well, lessons. The Vets will let you know if you need to come back here.

I think the motivation about posting "rate my playing" threads should not be to get positive feedback, but honest criticism. E.g. let someone listen to your stuff who don't know you and is _not_ your friend :). As said this does not really work on the "booze and party" guitar forum.

But I agree with you that this place is primary for lessons & questions.. I just wasn't sure how we should handle that stuff. That's the reason I asked.

bye,
Nils

• Members

I think if we had a sticky thread where all the posts of your playing clips would go and are strickly for criticism and playing clips only... then it would be easy to find, and you could just go in and listen to the clips and say what you didnt like about it, and what you liked... or what you think would be good to bring out in someones style

I havent been here long so maybe its a bad idea, Im lacking in experience but it seems like it would work in theory.

• Members

Keep three things in mind
1) The Lesson Loft is the newest forum here, and was created for the same reason you noted, Guitars is a zoo, and this little island of peace was intended for quiet study.;) This is Stratcat's baby, so I'd check with him (it does say strictly on-topic on the main link).

2) The best ears here hang out in Vets, and do quite a lot of music posting. They listen and critique a lot of home recorded stuff there. The traffic is slow enough that you might only get pushed off to page three at the end of a day, not page thirty.

3) You probably don't want to hear some of the opinions that guitars will offer up. There are some great guys on guitars, but they are far exceeded by the kiddies.

• Members
Originally posted by djmojo

OT: the kiddies rule!!

hehe just kidding, I havent been here long enough to know anything about the vets... I figured the vets dont want non vets posting there... but I could be wrong
:)

They won't bite, just step into the bar and introduce yourself. No trolling though, or they'll eat ya alive.:D

• Members

Originally posted by djmojo

I think if we had a sticky thread where all the posts of your playing clips would go and are strickly for criticism and playing clips only... then it would be easy to find, and you could just go in and listen to the clips and say what you didnt like about it, and what you liked... or what you think would be good to bring out in someones style

I havent been here long so maybe its a bad idea, Im lacking in experience but it seems like it would work in theory.

At first I thought it'd be a big confusing mess trying to figure out who was critiquing whose clip if you have a bunch of different clips in one thread...

But then I remembered private messaging, you could give somebody a critique without cluttering a thread. Not to mention if all the critiques were PMed there would be no posted critiques influencing others opinions...

Whether or not it belongs in the Lesson Loft is up to stratcat. I could see it fitting in here without much harm, though it would still be good policy to keep this place strictly lessons. The Vets forum gets a lot more traffic and they seem to be very knowledgeable in recording as well as performance...

Seems like it might be worth a try.

Archived