AHH!! Arpeggios!

djmojo

• Members

AHH!!! Arpeggios! deja vu...

anyway... I need a website with fingerings for patterns... what used to be called "modes" when I was first taught, the standard 7 patters to play in major scale from anywhere... I dont know why fingers to slide when... and I think thats making my arpeggios suck...

like I dont know which fingers to use for which notes and where to slide... example:

how do I play this?

|10---------------------

|----10-----------------

|--------11-------------

|-----------12----------

|------------------------

I dont know which fingers to use, barre the 10s with my first finger? then how do I mute the first note when playing the second one... I need a big sheet of tabs with fingerings for many arpeggios :) so I can win. heheh is there a website or soemthing with this? or someone feel adventurous to help me with everything wee!

• Members

Don't use patterns. Learn the theory and you can play arpeggios from anywhere.

Here's a crash course for you:

The C Major scale is C D E F G A B. Each scale degree is also the start of a mode.

The C Major scale is the same thing as the C Ionian mode. The modes, in order are: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian.

So, C Ionian shares the same notes with D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian and F Locrian. They all have the same notes, but start on different scale degrees.

The Aeolian mode also happens to be the Natural Minor scale. It's also known as the "relative minor". In the Key of C Major (Ionian), the Relative Minor is A, or the A Aeolian Mode.

The Aeolian Mode gets singled out as a "Relative" scale because in the past, classical theory was mainly concerned with the Major and Minor scales. I don't think Modal playing was used too often in that period, but it's definitely a big part of Jazz theory. So really, the Major Scale (Ionian) has 6 different "Relative" Modes.

A basic chord is composed of the odd intervals of a scale; the first 3 (1, 3, 5) for a triad. These tones are played Harmonically (all at once). An arpeggio draws from the same notes as a chord does - the odd scale degrees. However, an arpeggio is played Melodically (one at a time) instead of Haronically.

• Members

Originally posted by djmojo

AHH!!! Arpeggios! deja vu...

how do I play this?

|10---------------------

|----10-----------------

|--------11-------------

|-----------12----------

I dont know which fingers to use, barre the 10s with my first finger? then how do I mute the first note when playing the second one...

Djmojo,

Roll your finger!

When you fret the first note on the high e-string fret it with the middle of the fingertip. Then, when you want to sound the note on the b-string role your index-finger. The front part of your tip goes down and frets the note on the b-string. At the same time the middle part of your fingertip lifts up and unfrets the note on the e-string. It's a rolling motion.

You're still in contact with both strings afterwards, but the e-string is muted. If practiced you can play without any gaps between your notes.

Here's a very little excercise for you. It's a simple figure over the pentatonic D major scale, and you need to roll a lot to play it. (Use alternating picking here, it's easier). Don't rush into it.. Take play slow but clean if this stuff is new to you.

|-10----7----------------------------------|

|----10---7-10---7-------------------------|

|--------------9---7-9---7-----------------|

|----------------------9---7-9---7---------|

|------------------------------9---7-------|

|------------------------------------10----|

The same technik works for three strings in a row in a similar way, it's just harder.

(edited the post - my spelling sucks)

• Members

Yeah I know Im not supposed to think of modes as patterns, and Im not... thats why I said "what used to be modes to me" when I was first taught, I just forget all the fingering patterns... like with my index on the 5th fret, where do my other fingers go... dont worry about it Ill just go and tab it out.

Rolling the finger, yeah I know about this sort of thing, you have to use it in alot of songs... so I should get used to it... but its hard to do it in an arpeggio... :( but your little blues thing Ill try that... maybe it sounds good too...

• Members

Rolling the finger, yeah I know about this sort of thing, you have to use it in alot of songs... so I should get used to it... but its hard to do it in an arpeggio...

It just takes time, patience and a lot of practice, but I think you've heard that before. :)

It might be a good idea to practice the rolling finger thing first, and when you nailed it integrate it into your arpeggio work. This way you have to concentrate only one thing at a time. Learning sweeping and arpeggio playing will take a lot of time anyways, and the rolling finger thing is easy to master if you work on it. You can get really good on it in a couple of weeks.

I have a rather easy arpeggio etude here which I "composed" to practice upward running arpeggios. If you want it send me a mail and I dig it out and post it (you should be ready for three string finger rolling before you start that one).

your little blues thing Ill try that... maybe it sounds good too...

Yep, It sounds good. Not only for blues. I throw it into my improvisations from time to time. It's a nice downward run for solo endings because it resolves so nicely on the tonic.

• Members

Originally posted by Flanger

Don't use patterns. Learn the theory and you can play arpeggios from anywhere.

Here's a crash course for you:

The C Major scale is C D E F G A B. Each scale degree is also the start of a mode.

The C Major scale is the same thing as the C Ionian mode. The modes, in order are: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian.

So, C Ionian shares the same notes with D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian and F Locrian. They all have the same notes, but start on different scale degrees.

The Aeolian mode also happens to be the Natural Minor scale. It's also known as the "relative minor". In the Key of C Major (Ionian), the Relative Minor is A, or the A Aeolian Mode.

The Aeolian Mode gets singled out as a "Relative" scale because in the past, classical theory was mainly concerned with the Major and Minor scales. I don't think Modal playing was used too often in that period, but it's definitely a big part of Jazz theory. So really, the Major Scale (Ionian) has 6 different "Relative" Modes.

A basic chord is composed of the odd intervals of a scale; the first 3 (1, 3, 5) for a triad. These tones are played Harmonically (all at once). An arpeggio draws from the same notes as a chord does - the odd scale degrees. However, an arpeggio is played Melodically (one at a time) instead of Haronically.

bump

• Members

I dont think you need to bump a thread in lesson loft, there are like 10 posts on here a day... we need more people in here joining in the discussions

I would love to get that little practice etude off of you, my email is james_bond_25@hotmail.com if you want to send it to me... or just post it here, Im sure everyone would love it :)

Archived