Teaching myself guitar, what should I learn?

strumster

• Members

I just started playing guitar like a month ago, im not sure about getting a teacher, I dont especially like being told what to do, I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on what to start teaching myself with. I'e got a chord dictionaryy but i dont know how useful that'll be in the long term. Thanks

Strumster

• Members

I would start by learning some songs that use easy, open position chords. ( House Of The Rising Sun, Last Dance With Mary Jane, What It's Like; stuff like that) Learn to keep time by singing and/or tapping your foot and work on each song until you can make it through without having to stop or start over.

Once you have a solid foundation in being able to play in time, begin to add more challenging things to your repertiore one at a time. This would also be a good time to get a teacher, but pick one that will teach both the basics AND the music that YOU like. Take them some of your favorite CD's and play them examples of what you're shooting for.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by Shamuspizzbutt

I'd advocate a good teacher ASAP! Relearning, and unlearning bad habits are incredibly difficult tasks. A good teacher can help you to not develop these bad habits that can haunt you down the road.

What he said. Learn how to take lessons. They can be challenging and fun at the same time.

• Members

I would almost ignore scales all together and do arpeggios instead, because then you learn what the intervals sound like in relation to each other... then when you apply that to learning scales, you will be able to play MANY songs by ear... a couple months playing arpeggios and already I can identify most intervals instantly :) [important ones anyway, the wierd ones still take some work]

• Members

lessons can be a good crack
i had a few and it was well worth it.

as for what you should learn i would say

basic open chords.... the A B C D E F G...major/minor

the barre chord

and the basic pentatonic scales

learning all that should keep you going for a while :)

• Members

Ive been taking lessons 1hr every saturday for 4 months and "appregios" is a new word to me...wtf eh..

I actually decided to begin learning by myself as most of it is practice anyway. Id recommend you get some videos out form the library to develop some sort of foundation. Also get some some books on learning to play..go to your local guitar shop/teacher..and buy the text books/learning aids they would give you if you started lessons...learn on your own then do drop in lessons as you get stumped.

• Members

Originally posted by Wayrockin1

I would start by learning some songs that use easy, open position chords. ( House Of The Rising Sun, Last Dance With Mary Jane, What It's Like; stuff like that) Learn to keep time by singing and/or tapping your foot and work on each song until you can make it through without having to stop or start over.

Once you have a solid foundation in being able to play in time, begin to add more challenging things to your repertiore one at a time. This would also be a good time to get a teacher, but pick one that will teach both the basics AND the music that YOU like. Take them some of your favorite CD's and play them examples of what you're shooting for.

Good luck!

Do what he said and forget anything about learning arpeggios or scales yet... Those're way beyond first month material.

I would second that a good teacher would be beneficial, but you could get away with learning simple songs and timing for now...

When you're just starting out, it's important to keep the stuff you play interesting for yourself. If you dig the tunes you're learning, you'll learn them faster and be more into it... You'll also pick up the techniques used in the songs which can be applied to anything you play down the road.

If you get a teacher at some point, know that communication is important... A teacher can't read your mind, tell them what you want. Also, you must practice if you're paying for lessons. The teacher gets paid regardless of whether you learn, it's up to you to practice what you're taught. You're there to improve, to learn. Not to practice. Practice at home.

A good teacher will also criticise your playing, point out what you're doing wrong and correct you... I've had teachers before who'd just tell me to play it again until by chance I got it right, they never told me what was wrong or how to fix it. Or teachers who just say "that's good enough"... Stay away from these teachers.

• Members

When i first Picked up an Axe i took lessons to go with it.. After about 4 Lessons i almost Gave up..why? Simply Put i wasnt good enough to Have lessons.. Everything the teacher showed me i could`nt do so i pretty much thought i hate this.. I Stopped my Lessons and just began Practicing at home..What you need is maybe something to Give you a good grounding in teqnique such as a good video..thi sway you wont start with bad habbits.. once you start and feel Comfortable you can go back and have lessons and you will enjoy them...Although i never did myself..i just stayed self taught...but there is no doubt if id taken lessons id be better than i am today, not that im a bad player..far from it..but being in the same room with a guy who is on a higher level that you motivates you and you will enjoy the challenge...

So my Advice is Do take lessons, but NOT from the 1st day you buy an axe.. Learn some open chords, Barre chords, Strumming etc... and then go see a Good Teacher..

B

• Members

Originally posted by Banned

When i first Picked up an Axe i took lessons to go with it.. After about 4 Lessons i almost Gave up..why? Simply Put i wasnt good enough to Have lessons.. Everything the teacher showed me i could`nt do so i pretty much thought i hate this.. I Stopped my Lessons and just began Practicing at home..What you need is maybe something to Give you a good grounding in teqnique such as a good video..thi sway you wont start with bad habbits.. once you start and feel Comfortable you can go back and have lessons and you will enjoy them...Although i never did myself..i just stayed self taught...but there is no doubt if id taken lessons id be better than i am today, not that im a bad player..far from it..but being in the same room with a guy who is on a higher level that you motivates you and you will enjoy the challenge...

So my Advice is Do take lessons, but NOT from the 1st day you buy an axe.. Learn some open chords, Barre chords, Strumming etc... and then go see a Good Teacher..

B

I had the exact same experience when I started out. Actually I'm going to start taking lessons in january. I'm not in a band anymore and I'm very lazy when it comes to practicing so I need a reason to develop my skills.

I also started taking lessons imediately (sp?) when I got my first guitar at the age of 15 (I'm 20 now). I knew a few chords before that but I was very slow on changing chords mid-song. I didn't learn anything from these lessons.

Now I'm pretty good with most rythm stuff and blues leads but I can't get over the pentatonic barrier. Whenever I sit down to play it sounds like red house blues. It gets boring.

Archived