Quick picking question

Superman

• Members

Here are some pointers that I give my beginning pupils -FIRST AND FOREMOST - Use the heaviest gauge pick possible. The reason?--- Thin picks lack the control of a rigid pick, and you want full control of what is happening on the strings. Hold the pick firmly, but don't squeeze (with some exceptions), Usually only about 1/4" max of the pick tip should be exposed. Try not to "dig" into the strings too much, you only need a tiny bit of the pick to get a good clean note. A good picking technique is something that can come rather quickly, but still needs to be worked on with discipline.
Hope some of this can help you.

• Members
Originally posted by macaddled

Hold the pick as loose as you possibly can... and then lighten up your grip.
:)

Ok, when I did that the pick started rotating in my hand and I was eventually playing with the side of it. I'll mess with it some more later and see what I'm doing wrong but for now I'm picking up something I can actually play.....a classical.

• Members

Some teachers and books recommend that, besides starting with a heavy pick (a very good idea!), you have the option of holding your pick with your thumb + pointer finger + index finger, instead of just the two fingers: thumb + pointer. This can give you a bit more strength while working on scales and alternate picking.

A common problem, one I had when starting, is not letting the tension get too high - it's easy to just clench, which not only limits your wrist movement, it promotes slow movement between notes and generally bad habits in strumming. If this has or does become a problem for you, consiously tell yourself to ease up...work on breathing more slowly to calm yourself.

Good luck!

• Members

It's important that you pick from your wrist, not by just moving your fingers. Usually that means holding it with your thumb, index and middle fingers, or between the side of your index and middle of your thumb, your hand in a loose fist. Hold it just tight enough to keep it from moving around. Both hands need to be relaxed when you play.

Archived