Linking Blues pentatonics

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm learning Blues guitar, and I'm coming on pretty well, just basically tabbing off Hooker, Waters, Milburn, etc.

I've got the e-minor Pentatonic scale down, and I know I can do that at base, and 12th frets. Where else can I do this scale? What other scales are good for soloing in Blues? Also, how do I link these effectively? Is there a rule or technique?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Andy

• Members

Start by learning all of the positions of the scale. www.guitarology.com has charts for all positions.

Once you do that, try learning the scale in a linear fashion on each string. You can use linear movements to connect the positions.

I often slide from one position to the next. Very simple, but effective at getting you moving across the fretboard.

Here's a simple example that moves through 3 positions of the E pentatonic minor:

• Members

Originally posted by r0g3r

Once you do that, try learning the scale in a linear fashion on each string. You can use linear movements to connect the positions.

This is an excellent point and is worth stating in a seperate thread. One of the major problems of learning scales by boxes is that you tend to play that way i.e. in an up and down way across the strings.

The problem is that the neck becomes a series of discrete boxes and having learnt them the problem is that so few tutorials then put any emphasis on linking the boxes to move smoothly from position to position i.e. along the strings

I agree with r0g3r's suggestion that when learning adjoining boxes an excellent excercise is to slide to the next note in the new box.

The whole point of this exercise is to eventually link all the notes together so that the neck becomes one large box so you can smoothly transition from and to any note without hesitation at the box 'borders'.

take care

Russ T

Archived