Songs to learn

MrBayes

• Members

It's probably been asked on this forum hundreds of times, but I'm new and it needs to be asked again. For the good of all guitar players and all that.

Basically, what songs did people learn when they were learning to play the guitar? The songs I can play I can play quite well, but I'm running out of songs that I think I can learn... some are piss easy, but most are too hard for me to start... so I just end up getting depressed 'cos I can't play them.

Just to give you guys an idea of where I'm at at learning the guitar, I've been playing about 6-7months and the last song I've learnt is Nothing Else Matters by Metallica. I can do the solo and the rest of the stuff quite easily, but I just CANT THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE TO LEARN!!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

• Members

If you like metallica why dont you learn more of their songs? they have many songs you can try... and if you like nothing else matters, try learning "fade to black". Its sort of the same thing but more complicated and a little faster, a logical step up from that song... and it has some nice lead sounds...

or just get your hands on classic rock that stuff is always fun...

smoke on the water(deep purple), unchained, girl you really got me(both by Van Halen), back in black, hells bells (AC/DC)

• Members
Originally posted by djmojo

If you like metallica why dont you learn more of their songs? they have many songs you can try... and if you like nothing else matters, try learning "fade to black". Its sort of the same thing but more complicated and a little faster, a logical step up from that song... and it has some nice lead sounds...

or just get your hands on classic rock that stuff is always fun...

smoke on the water(deep purple), unchained, girl you really got me(both by Van Halen), back in black, hells bells (AC/DC)

Actually, You Really Got Me is "by" The Kinks, but I know what you meant. :)

How about diving into some Hendrix. Purple Haze, Watchtower (author: Dylan) and Voodoo Child: Slight Return are classics. One of my old roommates loved playing Spanish Castle Magic on acoustic

• Members

I thought the Van Halen version was much flashier :) so its more fun to play since metallica was mentioned, but yes you could play the kinks version too

The thing about playing hendrix, is it would song good unless you play like him, and if you play it for people that are hendrix fans, Im sure they wont like it unless you are him... thats the impression I got from people whenever I played purple haze in my early years.

The beginning to hotel California is good to learn too... its fun and reconizable.

Archived