Same fret, Different string

thamiam

• Members

Allright, I keep running in to the same problem.

When playing consecutive notes which are on the same frets, but on different strings, I am not able to make a smooth transition. My fingers seem clumsy, they move a little slower, and I often accidentally brush some other strings.

What are some techniques and/or exercises I can do to improve this?

• Members

-5-6-5-6-5-6-

-6-5-6-5-6-5-

Pick any two notes on different strings and different frets and reverse it like shown above. Mix it up - use different fingers, etc. Just repeat, repeat, repeat.

Harmonic Mechanisms for Guitar Vol. 1 by George Van Eps has some awesome suggestions for this kind of practice. Truly a fabulous book.

• Members

Those don't seem to address the issue of Same fret, different string. I run into problems on things like this, playing a descending E-C-G arpeggio.

---------------------------

----5---------------------

--------5------------------

--------------5------------

---------------------------

--------------------------

(I hope this makes sense, I never write in tab.)

I play with a very classical style fretting hand, fingertips on the strings, and I don't want any strings ringing out after I move to the next note. Should I barre all three strings with one finger and then mute each string as I go (this seems to really kill my flow), or should I lift one finger and move it over one string for each note (this seems to tangle me up)?

• Members

Okay, i have your answer but since you admitted some classical training you aint a gonna like it bud.....

LAY YOUR FANGER DOWN AND ROLL WITH IT!

:D

I say that because i have taught two or three kids who took classical or flamenco guitar training and they have a very upright method/technique of fingering the neck. They also tend to shy away from barres alot as well.

If i have the above 5th fret 3rd, 4th, then 5th string scenario i barre them as im going along and MUTE the non used string as i hit the other note. Muting is the key here. You are basically PRE-fretting the next two notes but muting them untilk its their turn to be picked.

• Members

Originally posted by thamiam

Allright, I keep running in to the same problem.

When playing consecutive notes which are on the same frets, but on different strings, I am not able to make a smooth transition. My fingers seem clumsy, they move a little slower, and I often accidentally brush some other strings.

What are some techniques and/or exercises I can do to improve this?

WTF! Tham is asking a question? Velly Vell...

Frankly, they are a beotch. For rockers and anyone just going for a quick arp in the middle of things, a three note barre with one finger or a two note barre and one note with another finger works fine. But for complete separation, articulation and phrasing options either one has to avoid it with some stretchy fingering or work hard with separate fingers and strings for every note. = a beotch.

What works for me is to use economy picking. That way I can concentrate on the left hand. I would play your example with either the right hand middle finger playing the first note hand and the others with an upstroke or the first with an downstroke and the rest with an upstroke.

I think this problem is a nice opportunity to

work on minimizing movement in the left hand -

practice to only lift each finger to stop each note and make some slight room for the next finger. What you have to do - of course - is to angle your south paw so that you can play those three notes with your ring, middle and index fingers. Think of them as a triplet played on a keyboard (C,D,E fx)

• Members

I think what you are trying to learn is finger roll technique. If the interval is ascending, play the first note on your finger tip, then roll that finger tip to the flat part of your finger for the next note on the adjacent string. If it is a descending interval, play the first note with the flat, and then roll down to the finger tip for the next note. It's worth putting some time into it. Most guitar players sound like most guitar players because they play only note combinations that are "convenient". Listen to Clapton, Allman, Blackmore, and Morse for a demonstration of how to do it the other way.

• Members

Originally posted by 555

I think what you are trying to learn is finger roll technique. If the interval is ascending, play the first note on your finger tip, then roll that finger tip to the flat part of your finger for the next note on the adjacent string. If it is a descending interval, play the first note with the flat, and then roll down to the finger tip for the next note. It's worth putting some time into it. Most guitar players sound like most guitar players because they play only note combinations that are "convenient". Listen to Clapton, Allman, Blackmore, and Morse for a demonstration of how to do it the other way.

That sounds like something I need to practice. Any resources on finding a good technique for that? Web sites, etc...

Originally posted by Fred5

What you have to do - of course - is to angle your south paw so that you can play those three notes with your ring, middle and index fingers.

That is always a problem for me. I have very large hands and fingers, and I can never fit three fingers on adjacent strings on the same fret. Even playing an open 'A' chord requires me to barre the three strings with my ring finger, because three separate fingers just don't fit there.

thanks for all the help, folks.

Archived