but what are some useful alternatives to this standard

like if i was to do a -1 -2 -5 e.g .A .B .E is sounds wrong

what works?

{b.t.w it doesn't have to be in A, any key interests me :)}

• Members

Originally posted by scooter

if i was to do a -1 -2 -5 e.g .A .B .E is sounds wrong

scoot,

the chord based on the II note in the scale of A Maj is Bm not B, (don't forget the II, III and VI chords are all minors and the VII is a min7b5 ) The rest are Majors but as I am sure you are aware can be replaced with dominants.

Thus in the key of G the 'chord scale' would be:

I. G Maj

II. A min

III. B min

IV. C Maj

V. D Maj

VI. E min

VII. F# minb5

Then obviously the octave

Hope this helps

Russ T

• Members
Originally posted by Russ T Nail

The rest are Majors but as I am sure you are aware can be replaced with dominants.

Actually, only the V chord can be replaced with a dominant. When you add the 7th to that chord it becomes dominant 7th, because the V level uses mixolydian scale. The others become major 7th chords when you add the 7th.

Unless of course you break the rules. :D

And you can just call the VII chord F# diminished...same thing...

• Members

TM,

My statement, (blase as it was :rolleyes: ), was based largely in a blues context as scooter had mentioned the I-IV-V progression which I had automatically (and probably wrongly) taken to mean the good ol' 12 bar.

Hope this clarifies.....yes I know it is a feeble excuse but it is the best I can come up with :p

:D :D

Russ T

• Members
Originally posted by Russ T Nail

My statement, (blase as it was
:rolleyes:
), was based largely in a blues context as scooter had mentioned the I-IV-V progression which I had automatically (and probably wrongly) taken to mean the good ol' 12 bar.

Haha, yeah, I figured that's what you were talking about. But I'm a perfectionist bastard. ;)

Originally posted by TubeAddict

half diminished

the diminished chord has a double flatted 7th

True. You got me there.

• Members

scooter,

refer back to my first post. Put simply all you need to do is take the notes in any Major scale and the chords that are built on them are always the same in a given position.

So the I, IV and V chords will always be major, the II, III and VI chords will always be minor and the VII is always a min7b5 (or half diminished)

Now take the 'bag of chords' from my first post, mix them up and use tem in any sequence. Forget the theory try various permutations and see how they turn out.

I would add the caveat that the above are guidelines not rules as such. Try everything on a 'suck it and see basis'.

Hope this helps

Russ T

Archived