Is it harder for you to pick the lower strings?

• Members

4,5, and 6 give me much more difficulties, especially regarding right hand technique as opposed to the 1,2, and 3. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I'll start doing some of Uncle Os's exercises.

The main problem is that I don't understand why I have more difficulty. If I knew why, I could work on solving the problem. Any guesses? To me, logically..it should be the same..because I don't anchor my pinky or anything.

• Members

If your technique is correct, and your strap length is correct, all the strings should be equally accessible. My first guess is that your guitar is too low, causing you to reach up the the 4, 5, & 6. My second guess is that you're picking with your thumb and finger and not with your wrist.

• Members

On electric guitar I think one should rest some part of the right hand on the strings/body.
For me, that doesn't work on guitars with a carved top, like a Les Paul. I touch the strings or body (on the low strings) with my wrist and/or the fleshy part of the first thumb joint to gauge pick height in relation to the strings. The problem with Pauls is that when I get down to the A and E string, there is no body there! So I tend to change my picking angle on the low strings to get some contact with the body with my righty.

At I speeds this doesn't work.

Take a look at Frank Gambale's Yamaha guitar. Everything is totally flush, addressing this problem.

• Members
Originally posted by thelonius74

4,5, and 6 give me much more difficulties, especially regarding right hand technique as opposed to the 1,2, and 3. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I'll start doing some of Uncle Os's exercises.

The main problem is that I don't understand why I have more difficulty. If I knew why, I could work on solving the problem. Any guesses? To me, logically..it should be the same..because I don't anchor my pinky or anything.

I know what you mean and I have the answer. :eek: Make sure you slide your entire arm up as you approach the bottom strings. In other words, make sure your hand is not anchored on the pick rest as you move up to the bottom 3 strings. When you slide your hand up, it keeps the same pick to string angle as when you are playing on the G B and high E strings. If you do this, I bet your problem will be solved in 2 minutes. All you had to do was ask!:cool:

• Members

holy craq tag, I think you may be right! I dont' know about fixing it in two minutes. But I thought of myself as a 'floater' :D, but I'm a floater and a twister.

I tried keeping the angle the same but it feels strange, I'll keep working on it though. I can tell a difference.

• Members
Originally posted by Matt Correa

no it was not an attempt . it was an insult. i just couldnt figure out what the hell you wer talking about because it was such simplicity.

Everybody needs to improve. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to figure out.:)

• Members

Originally posted by Matt Correa

no it was not an attempt . it was an insult. i just couldnt figure out what the hell you wer talking about because it was such simplicity.

Why would you make fun of me on a lesson forum? That doesn't make any sense to me. I've been playing 18 years, and have played with several of the best and most recorded musicians ever, several of which I'm sure you own cds by, all of which have troubled areas of their own, and all of which have complimented me on my guitar playing. So, seeing as how any insult you could give me is invalid, it was indeed an attempt, but I don't understand the need for rudeness on this forum.

• Members
Originally posted by BenoA

Thanks Tag!!!
:)
I have the same difficulty as thelonius74 with picking the lower strings...

I can't wait to be back home to try it out!!!

Rock'n roll!!!

BenoA

It should really help. Look at the angle your hand is on when you pick the strings you are most comfortable with, then slide your entire arm up and down to maintain that angle on all the strings. I still forget onvce in a while, and have to remind myslef. This is 5-6 years after I figured this out! It makes a HUGE difference!:)

Archived