Do you use the 'box' or 3 note per string scales?

• Members

I used to use the 3 note per strings, because I was playing rock stuff, and it's easy to use for hammerons and pulloffs, and also for alternate picking. So once I had scales learned, I never bothered learning the 'boxed' or 'fixed' positions (excluding pentatonics of course) because I already knew the other positions, and they covered more of a range anyways.

But in the last couple of years I've realized that I've been a dumbass. Playing the 3 note/string scales helps you sound 'rock' but kinda locks you in....where as the fixed positions force me to be more melodic. I'm not about to throw a sextuplet lydian run on your ass in a box position.

Anyways..this is how it works for me. What about you guys? Any preferences? or does it make a difference.

• Members

Interesting post! I'm really trying to break out of both, or use both whichever way you wanna look at it. I totally agree with you that the three per string fingerings tend to have that generic, late 80's - early 90's beer commercial sound to it. Fast legato triplets etc.

• Members

I use everything. The three note per string stuff is great for runs or creating a crescendo at the end of a solo. It's also very flashy and cool.

Steve Morse and Eric Gales have some very cool pentatonic three note per string patterns with major, minor, and chormatic notes thrown in.

I had trouble phrasing with it so I alternate with box style patterns with flat 6s, chromatics, and choose wider intervals. I skip strings and jump to different positions on the neck too. I gotta break it up.

I learned three note per string scales from the Paul Gilbert videos. It really opened me up to the fret board and made me realize that all those patterns are an actual Mode of the major scale. Huge revelation!

I play Jazzy Blues with a Rock edge but there's still a lot of 80's left in me.

• Members

Well..you seem to have figured it out...but here it is for you anyways. I may be using some incorrect nomenclature due to the fact that most people think of box as being strictly pentatonic.

G-Major scale box

--------------------------------------------2-3-------

--------------------------------------3-5----------

---------------------------2-4-5--------------------

----------------2-4-5-------------------------------

--------2-3-5-----------------------------------------

-3--5----------------------------------------------

G-Major 3 note per string

----------------------------------------5-7-8-------

--------------------------------5-7-8--------------

------------------------4-5-7------------------------

----------------4-5-7---------------------------------

--------3-5-7------------------------------------------

-3-5-7---------------------------------------------------

The reason the first causes me to be more melodic is that it doesn't readily lend itself to the speedy tricks that the second one does (economy picking, legato hO, and POs, etc. Plus, you're staying in one position....so it's easier for me to make melodies with different notes, where as on the second one I tend to sequence or run straight through. Don't get me wrong....both are extremely valuable...my point of this thread is only to say that for the longest time I only emphasised the second one because I thought it had the clear advantage, due to more of a range, etc.

• Members

I never haver thought about the scales that way i.e. dividing them into boxes and three note patterns. Still it gives me sth to think of now. I rather tends to see them a a bunch of sounds ready to be used. Thanx again for yet another point of view at the fretboard it sure will give some fresh air tro my playing.

Micha

• Members

You have to alternate between those two scales because if you only use the three note per string version it becomes so predictable. Not very blusey or soulful either. Too Paul Gilbert sounding.

In that three note per string scale I would only play a portion of it and add in some chromatic notes ala Steve Morse to give it some color.

It doesn't have to be straight major/minor either. Here's a Steve Morse extrapolation. Very country blues sounding

-------------------------------------------------------12-13-14-

-----------------------------------------10-13-14------------

-----------------------------9-10-11-------------------

-----------------7-10-11---------------------------------------

---------7-8-9----------------------------------------------

-5-8-9-----------------------------------------------------------

Here's an Eric Gales style run.

----------------------10-12-15---------------

----------8-10-13-------------------------

-7-8-9----------------------------------

--------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------