ANATOMY and SPEED

• Members

I hve been wondering recently if the anatomy of our hands has any serious /decisive influence on our technical abilities. The question is teven more important as some of my friends/guitarists never seem to achieve the same technical level as me (not boasting). That as I suppose can lead to many frustrations and depressions. THey practice much more but lack the fluency. hat doesn't mean they're less talented, their solos are great, but they are never able to play really fast. I wonder if you have some experience here.

Micha

• Members

There are so many variations on the basic guitar as far as neck shape, string size, scale length, fretboard radius, etc... that I believe any guitarist can find a setup that maximizes their speed and technique regardless of their anatomy, as long as they are healthy (no damaged tendons, etc...)

Remember, Django Reinhardt had two fingers burned off and fused together, and he still played faster than most of us could ever dream. I would bet that when people hit a wall in developing their speed, it is due more to tension than any anatomical quirks. The majority of people haven't learned how to be extremely focused and extremely relaxed at the same time.

• Members

Originally posted by thamiam

There are so many variations on the basic guitar as far as neck shape, string size, scale length, fretboard radius, etc... that I believe any guitarist can find a setup that maximizes their speed and technique regardless of their anatomy, as long as they are healthy (no damaged tendons, etc...)

Remember, Django Reinhardt had two fingers burned off and fused together, and he still played faster than most of us could ever dream. I would bet that when people hit a wall in developing their speed, it is due more to tension than any anatomical quirks. The majority of people haven't learned how to be extremely focused and extremely relaxed at the same time.

Speaking as someone who is not gifted with the largest of hands, I can still play pretty fast and articulate, but I agree with Thamiam. You have to have to right equipment. I sure as hell can't play well on a thick-necked Gibson or one of those older Jeff Beck strats that had a baseball bat for a neck.

Relaxation is also a BIG componet to playing better. Check out Eric Vandeburg's columns over at ibreathemusic.com. He goes into tips on becoming more proficient at guitar.

Archived